This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

(Mass) Tagging and File Organisation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
seppelrockt
I tried the 1.3_beta2 today and it is amazing how fast Amarok moves, keep on the good work!

I am using Music Monkey (on WinXP) atm to clean up my collection cause it has some features that are very helpful.

That is mass tagging (e.g. set year, album for all given songs) and further the option to tag from amazon! That realy helped a lot if you have uncomplete tags with e.g. artist and song numbers. This can be completed with year and titles from amazon.

Another great feature is the possibility to create a certain directory/file structure from completly tagged files and give them the right name, e.g. artist - song# title.ogg.

I realy would like to see this features implemented in amarok cause it would help much to organize colllections.

Another maybe good thing would be file format coverting e.g. from mp3 to ogg but I don\'t know if this would bleed amarok.

In usability terms amarok is so much better than media monkey on windows and sure there must be a limit of features to keep it usable.
fish
I hope this thread won\'t just end up with the usual \"why don\'t you use juk for tagging?\" reply...

* Anonymous hides :side:
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Hehe, I only use that response when people ask for mass musicbrainz tagging.

I agree, using Amazon for tagging is a good idea. Actually I already had thought of it, guess I wasn\'t the first though. :P

Amarok Developer
seppelrockt
The most important feature request for me is not to extand tagging capabilities (also this would be nice) but god possibilities to organize the music collection - thus creating filenames woth certain schemes from the taggs and further more managing directory structure within (this is important for me when I come to play my music on my iAudio 5 portable music player). I know krename has many features in this direktion, maybe this is a starting point to integrate (some of) them.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Why not use krename?

I\'m scared of doing reorganization stuff. Its a good way to trash users collections.

Amarok Developer
seppelrockt
Maybe you got me wrong - I don\'t want to amarok to reorganize my collection automatically! One could say all I want is a krename \"light\" integrated in amarok, so that I can easyly rename/organize songs I have selected in the playlist MANUALY!

Example: I have the album \"bar\" of the group \"foo\" in my amarok playlist, comprising the songs \"track1\" to \"track5\" (the tags are all OK).

They a just somewere on my hd and the filenames are wrong or maybe wrong format for my (like track3.ogg). Now I select the songs in the playlist, choose \"reorganize files\" or something from the context menu and another window opens like that (screeny from media monkey):

[img size=400]http://www.mediamonkey.com/Assets/images/product/organise.gif[/img]

Hope that helps to illustrate my idea. Remember: I have the choise to select every proposed file name line in the preview and change it manually (e.g. for deleting punctiations in filenames - I keep them in tags but reject them in filenames to get more \"standard\"/console friendly filenames).
carl0ski
this is an unusual thread considering use amarok for mass tagging purposes :S
it doesnt however support automatic mass tagging.

hightlight multiple files in playlist (aka drag an entire album) right click choose view/Edit meta data

and will display
common inputs for
artist album, year comment

then you save and then select the first file in the list
Go to View/Edit Meta data either type in song title or click MUSICBRAINZ button (musicbrainz looks up on the internet for the correct song title and notation)
Click next and repeat

Amarok should add a process which jumps straight from Edit all ablum to prompt for individual though.

Editing multiple files at once can also be achieved by the Collection tab right click on any artist or album name select View/Edit meta data
carl0ski
Registered Member
As for the renaming of files
a messy but a start i added to following as a hot key in KHotKeys ctrl + alt + r runs this command.
or paste in konsole

cp "$(dcop amarok player path)" "/mnt/storage/music/foo - bar/" 0"$(dcop amarok player track)"\\ -\\ "$(dcop amarok player artist)"\\ -\\ "$(dcop amarok player title)".ogg

## copies/renames the file Amarok is currently ##playing to /mnt/storage/music/foo - bar/01 - foo - bar (cover track).ogg
##i did this to read the tag of the playing song then ##write the file name :)
##i chose copy cause i don\'t want
##to lose anything i have never done any ##programming or scripting before. delete ##manually unless you trust mv is done correctly.

hopefully something like the above will be added :)

DCOP for extensions
1. I could not figure how to capture the extention of a file to add to the end of the command

DCOP for file location
2. i could not figure out how to only get the location to the file (path where you keep the file) so i could use that instead of /mnt/music/foo -bar which can\'t posibly be permanent.

DCOP for amarok track number with zero
3. when using dcop amarok player track
i don\'t get a leading zero so 1, 2 ,3 ,4 get messy
0"$(dcop amarok player track)"\\
01 02 03 04 but unfortuanately also 010, 011.

Post edited by: carl0ski, at: 2005/07/03 07:54
carl0ski
Registered Member
i\'ve solved one problem

mv \"$(dcop amarok player path)\" \"$(dirname \"$(dcop amarok player path)\")\"/0\"$(dcop amarok player track)\"\\ -\\ \"$(dcop amarok player artist)\"\\ -\\ \"$(dcop amarok player title)\".mp3

This will rename your file to track - artist - title format in the same folder as the original.
seppelrockt
Still no go for a mass tagging solution? Which progs do you use for tagging in KDE? I\'ve tried juk bur it want\'s me to install gstreamer (I don\'t use arts) which is a little bit to fat IMO. Alternatives?
Mike Diehl
Registered Member
Renaming/Moving files in your collection will destroy statistics for them.

But, in 1.3.3 there till be a dcop call collection migrateFIle( oldURL newURL ), this will update the db for filename changes. I\'m also working on implementing this functionality into the playlist so stay tuned.
andu
Registered Member
I've placed a proposal for tagging solution at http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Mass_Tagging. It is not like I'm going to program it sometime, I don't know yet, more for discussion.
Hydrogen
Registered Member
This is a really old thread with some really old info.  Why did you bump it instead of starting afresh?
andu
Registered Member
You are right, indeed. Will do so now (in Usability section)

Last edited by andu on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.