This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Special file format

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Andres Kaaber

Special file format

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:53 pm
I have a special windows program that saves very strange file format and I haven\'t found a program under linux that could play these files. Is it possible to write a \"pluggin\" for amarok to support this file format?
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:Special file format

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:56 pm
\"Very special\"?

Amarok Developer
Andres Kaaber

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:59 pm
Yes. The program / device listens to telephone conversations and radio communication and saves these. I can give a link to the fail.
Andres Kaaber

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:01 pm
... but the program is quite old and works only in Windows. But I want to switch to linux.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:07 pm
Well, my point its hard to say whether or not there\'s support given that you\'re not saying what the name of the format is.

Given that its an old Windows program, you might look into running it in emulation (wine) or finding a way to convert the files while still in Windows.

Amarok Developer
Andres Kaaber

Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:20 pm
Here is the link to the file http://www.rescue.ee/rakvere/file.drf
carl0ski
Registered Member

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:39 pm
could you please give the name of the program at least and the file name extension

as you are being extremely vague. :S

the drt file it that is it is only 30k so can\'t possibly be the telephone recoding format.

my bet it the program creates maybe a wav or intel encoded audio (playable by amarok) but you need to find where they are.

Use find on windows to find files bigger that 20 meg in
you c:/documents and settings/
and whereever you program is installed.
Andres Kaaber

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:09 pm
The programm package contains 3 separate programs. Direc NT Browser, DirecBackup, DirecMonitor. Browser shows you the saved documents and you can listen to them and save as .wav files. DirecBackup makes backup from server to CD or HD. Direc Monitor shows the current state of phones or radios (are they online or not and for how long) but you can\'t get any information about them in inetrnet, et least I couldn\'t. The .drf files are the files the programm saves and the 20k file is a radio noise for a second or so.
As I understand it is not so easy to listen to unknown file format? Maby I can dig out something from where this software was bought from, firm or smt.
For beeng \"extremely vague\" - english is my 4. language and it is a \"bit\" difficult do express myself :blush: