This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Update : Lyrics from wiki

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
db0

Feature Update : Lyrics from wiki

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:04 am
Ok, I\'ll get straight to the point.
lyrc sucks. The lyrics are sometimes horrible. The fact that they are uneditable by the user base makes it very hard to remove the bad ones (I have seen lyrics where the one writing them was actually guessing the words from the song) and also, the lyrc site control and layout make it very annoying and tiresome to enter new information.
Furthermore the site is spanish and the forum as well, this makes it very hard to contact anyone about anything.

Now I love the lyrics feature but I would very much like to see amaroK use a better service than lyrc.

I know that the future version of amaroK will implement wikipedia in some way, if that is the case, how hard would it be to draw lyrics from a wiki?
An excellent candidate would be KiwiLyrics which already has a big collection (I haven\'t missed anything that I searched and I found much more than lyrc has) and has the same layout as wikipedia and is much easier to update by users.

I hope I\'m not sounding too negative here but after two hours of song submiting to lyrc I have cramps in my hands from constant backpedaling.
manulite
Registered Member
OS
I will have to completely agree with you. I have been frustrated by lyrc so many times. I even tried to post to the forums but nothing has ever happened. I am really in favor of amaroK using another site for lyrics.

I have submitted so many lyrics to lyrc and they all disappeared somewhere, they don\'t show up months after submission.
Divided by 0
Registered Member
I think the best thing to do would be to support kiwi. If it grows big enough to become the best lyrics site around, then the devs won\'t be able to do anything but use it ;) :)

Whenever you get randomly killed, the simplest and most logical conclusion is that it was probably ninja - Occam\'s Katana
Charles Philip Chan
Registered Member
I think the lyric site used should be configurable. This is the only show stopper that I have with Amarok. The hard coded lyric site have none of the lyrics for my music collection. :(

Charles
Divided by 0
Registered Member
Update: If you feel this is a good idea vote here

It will probably get noticed if it gets enough votes.

Whenever you get randomly killed, the simplest and most logical conclusion is that it was probably ninja - Occam\'s Katana
gzpippo
I agree.

I think Kiwilyrics is a better solution, being a wiki. So if amaroK user bob doesn\'t find lyrics for the band \'foo\', he can *immediately* contribute them, and the next amaroK user alice will say \"hey! this has even foo\'s lyrics! cool!\" and so on...

besides, the code used for wikipedia should be easily adapted, right?

(sorry for my bad english)
Mike Diehl
Registered Member
I\'ll paste directly from the #amarok irc channel from today

[19:00] mdiehl * r449869 /trunk/extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/amarokcore/ (amarokdcophandler.cpp amarokdcophandler.h amarokdcopiface.h): Add dcop setLyricsByPath( url lyrics ), now let\'s see the custom lyrics fetching scripts. :)

Have fun.
Divided by 0
Registered Member

Re:Feature Update : Lyrics from wiki

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:46 pm
You rule!