This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to get Window Media Audio Files onto AmaroK

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Convert
I have 2 computers on a network and as of right now my cd drive on my linux computer doenst work so i had to use my window media player to import my cds becuase my itunes on it cant import cds correctly saying there 600mb for a 10 song cd

so i made a file of all of my imported cds (about a 100)
and i imported it onto my linux computer

but when i try to import it to amaroK it wont work and it is quite frusterating

any ideas of how to get Window Media Audio Files onto AmaroK?

please and thanks
carl0ski
Registered Member
install
win32-codecs

depending on your distro
you can also search package listings.

run rpmdrake in mandrake
or urpmi win32

emerge win32
in gentoo

apt-get in suse etc.

but save yourself a whole lot of trouble and DO NOT!! use windows media player to rip cds

Winamp 5 will do a very good job ripping to m4a or MP3
Divided by 0
Registered Member
do yourself a favor and find an wma to mp3 convertor asap. It will save you a world of grief since nothing can play nice with wma\'s other than microsoft\'s own tools.
Also, I\'m pretty sure there are some damn fine cd rippers that also allow you to make ogg files. go with this format if you can.

Whenever you get randomly killed, the simplest and most logical conclusion is that it was probably ninja - Occam\'s Katana
marcel
Registered Member
OS
First, you must use an engine supporting wma (e.g. xine with win32 dlls installed, which you can get from mplayerhq.hu).
Second, IMO amaroK will not find wmas as they are not supported by taglib (not sure if this is still true). But you can insert them manually from the \"Files\" Tab to your playlist.

Marcel
carl0ski
Registered Member
db0 wrote:
do yourself a favor and find an wma to mp3 convertor asap. It will save you a world of grief since nothing can play nice with wma\'s other than microsoft\'s own tools.
Also, I\'m pretty sure there are some damn fine cd rippers that also allow you to make ogg files. go with this format if you can.

what are you talking about

Xine-win32 is ms codecs package.

Xine developer figured out how to use windows codecs binaries in linux. You dump anywindows codec in
/usr/lib/win32 ? and xine willl recognise adn dcan use them them :)

Can I watch Windows Media (.asf/.wmv/.wma) files using xine?

While the container format (system layer) ASF (wmv is just an alias) is fully supported in xine, for newer windows media 9 based streams you\'ll need to install windows binary codecs (.DLLs).

Possibly the most convenient way to get the Windows DLLs is to download them from the MPlayer website http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/dload.html . The package is called "essential". Unpack it and move everything you find inside to /usr/lib/win32 (actually you can place them anywhere you want, e.g. someplace in your home directory, but then you\'ll have to set decoder.external.win32_codecs_path in your xine config file accordingly). Restart xine then and you should be able to watch windows media streams.

http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq#WMV