This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Things I (and you!) would like to see on amaroK

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
transvaal
First:

1. Recognize covers on the folders! Rather than adding an image to every file tag (I know it\'s only 5kb...), amaroK should recognize files named \'cover\' on the directory as the cover image. (maybe to lyrics too?...)

2. A \'Play\' item on the right click menu at the Collections to clear the current playlist, add the selection and start playing the first item (almost like that \'Make Playlist\' button) (useful!)

Now, fancy things:

3. Be able to \'Group By\' nothing.. just appear the file names or the titles (when there are a lots of artists and just one music from each, it\'s annoying)

4. The rolling bar with the title to be dragable (like winamp) (also to customizable like OSD...)

5. On the right click menu of the taskbar icon, an OSD button to show OSD again

(6. that thing that happens to the current track entry on the playlist... causes me nausea :sick:)

Also:

6. More than one tag grouping, example: group by album and year, by track and song (this is what I mean: Iron Maiden -> 1982 - Number Of The Beast -> 02 - Children Of The Dammed)
carl0ski
Registered Member
1. Recognize covers on the folders! Rather than adding an image to every file tag (I know it\'s only
5kb...), amaroK should recognize files named \'cover\' on the directory as the cover image. (maybe to
lyrics too?...)

1. The images are added/called to the Album: entry of the sql db and song tags.

so any songs with the same album tag will have the same cover.

Chalk up my vote sorta Albums titled Greatest Hits are all from different artists and
i have installed linux a few times and wished i didnt lose all my Cover images for my music.

However Lyrics/images belong where they are now
putting them all in separate places is a logical fragmenting of the database.
just to load amarok you will have to load images all over the place causes a very large performance problem.

it is best to keep them in one central place.

An option to import/export them to each albums folder is more approriate.
Like i place a jpg scan of my albums cover in the Oasis -wonderwall/ folder and amarok will find it and add it to the database as the cover image.

2. A \'Play\' item on the right click menu at the Collections to clear the current playlist, add the
selection and start playing the first item (almost like that \'Make Playlist\' button) (useful!)

3. Be able to \'Group By\' nothing.. just appear the file names or the titles (when there are a lots
of artists and just one music from each, it\'s annoying)

[/quote]

That feature is already in Collection choose Flat view
(it is the two icons next to the Group By Drop down menu)
it list s in the following format

Artist Track Album
Oasis Wonderwall Wonderwall
Oasis wonderwall Only Hits

4. The rolling bar with the title to be dragable (like winamp) (also to customizable like OSD...)

it technically can be dragged
I can drag the scrolling title into any program and it will paste the Title and artist.

sso you need to be more specific

5. On the right click menu of the taskbar icon, an OSD button to show OSD again

i disagree with this one.

ALT + O will display the OSD
and if you even hover over the icon in your systray it will display all info about you track in a balloon tip style.

and using khotkeys you can set any simple keyboard key to do the following

dcop amarok player showOSD

also works in konsole.
carl0ski
Registered Member
transvaal wrote:
(6. that thing that happens to the current track entry on the playlist... causes me nausea :sick:)

please be more specific i am very sensitive to thing that cause nausea and i dont see anything :S

Also:

6. More than one tag grouping, example: group by album and year, by track and song (this is what I mean: Iron Maiden -> 1982 - Number Of The Beast -> 02 - Children Of The Dammed)

i\'m not sure what version you use but version 1.3
has.

Group By
artist / album
album / year

and you can choose any of the following 3 different inputs in any order.
artist
album
(year) album
year
genre

why would you ever ever need track song?
the only reason track was ever important was on cd players the computer and amarok make track number useless information.

if you drag you album in it will sort it by the track numbers any ways.
transvaal
1. I meant that it\'s better amarok ready the image file from the folder where the mp3 is. The way amarok does (I believe) it reads the mp3\'s tags, so I have to add a cover image to each and every mp3\'s tag. It seems a waste. I would like sort of an automated version of that import/export thing you said (recognizing \'./front.png\' as the cover (which wouldn\'t work for you Best Of albums...)).

3. When I click that Flat View button I\'m asked to select a filtering criteria. And I wanted it to show every music.

4. Sorry. The scrolling text should the dragable, roll as the mouse moves. Like a moving a window, but inside the boundary of the croll area.

5. Sorry, I didn\'t knew that. The shortcut is even better.

(6.) The current playing item on the playlist gets larger and blue and blinks and fades :sick:

6. I would like if I could Group By: artist / year - album / track - song. This lets me see all information about the albums: the albuns will be sorted by it\'s realese year, the songs will be sorted by it\'s track on the CD (and it\'s not like a \'artist / year / album / track / song\' group: in the year there would be only one album (probably), and in the track, only one song). That\'s for people who really like to know things about the band and their albums/musics :P
carl0ski
Registered Member
transvaal wrote:
1. I meant that it\'s better amarok ready the image file from the folder where the mp3 is. The way amarok does (I believe) it reads the mp3\'s tags, so I have to add a cover image to each and every mp3\'s tag. It seems a waste. I would like sort of an automated version of that import/export thing you said (recognizing \'./front.png\' as the cover (which wouldn\'t work for you Best Of albums...)).

like i spelled out cover images are NOT stored in the tags.
a table/database stores them.

any album with the exact same name uses the exact same image file.

3. When I click that Flat View button I\'m asked to select a filtering criteria. And I wanted it to show every music.

That would be extemely slow way of doing it.

4. Sorry. The scrolling text should the dragable, roll as the mouse moves. Like a moving a window, but inside the boundary of the croll area.

I always liked that
but not as much as do not scroll option in Winamp.

5. Sorry, I didn\'t knew that. The shortcut is even better.

a program called
kdcop

will show you lots more options including turning on off almost every option in amarok

example
mv "$(dcop amarok player path)" "$(dirname "$(dcop amarok player path)")"/0"$(dcop amarok player track)"\\ -\\ "$(dcop amarok player artist)"\\ -\\ "$(dcop amarok player title)".mp3

this renames your current playing song based on artist and title tage entries and places it in the same directory it currently is.

change it to cp
an try it :)

dcop amarok player path
this uses/shows the entire path info of playing song in konsole or scripts
/mnt/music/oasis-wonderwall.mp3

(6.) The current playing item on the playlist gets larger and blue and blinks and fades :sick:

6. I would like if I could Group By: artist / year - album / track - song. This lets me see all information about the albums: the albuns will be sorted by it\'s realese year, the songs will be sorted by it\'s track on the CD (and it\'s not like a \'artist / year / album / track / song\' group: in the year there would be only one album (probably), and in the track, only one song). That\'s for people who really like to know things about the band and their albums/musics :P
transvaal
1. Where does amarok find covers in the first place? It just show the covers of the mp3\'s files that I have previously tagged with an image. Is there a way to enter an image that is not on the mp3\'s tag on the database?

2. An option to list the file names would be show? Even if it read the tags it could be done as the list scrolls, just for the visible items, or, if all tags are placed on a database, then it shouldn\'t be a problem at all.

I\'m afraid that dcop is too complex for me, but it seems cool, would it be like DCC on windows?

(just another thing, where do I find amarok engines? I googled it without success. I wanted to use the EQ)
transvaal
Nevermind about the item 1. I just realized... :whistle: