This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: What to do with unplayable audio

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jackson
A feature that I think would be quite useful for many people would be marking of files in a playlist that could not be played for some reason. If amarok tries to play a file, and can\'t for whatever reason - permissions, a corrupt file, deleted/missing file, etc -- it should mark the track (say, red or grey it out or whatever kde components use for disabled items) and then jump to the next song and continue going about its business. Generally, I think people want their music not to stop playing, especially if they\'ve set continuous or suggest modes for amarok, but they need to know if files they\'re trying to play don\'t work; I this would be a great answer to the problem!
Michael Mitton
Registered Member
I\'ve raised this issue before, and I think the developers take the stand that any file which isn\'t playable shouldn\'t be in the playlist at all. If an unplayable file does make it in, they consider that a bug.

I disagree with that stand, but I\'ve already laid out my arguments previously and wasn\'t persuasive.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Are you actually experiencing some sort of bug with the dynamic mode?

Amarok Developer
Jackson
Amarok stops playback and/or crashes quite often for me, but I\'ve noticed that oftentimes it chokes on a specific song, over and over again...

However, sometimes it just decides to stop playing because it finds a file in the playlist that is no longer there (or so it claims, at least)... what generally happens, I believe, is that I save a long playlist (in the vein of 24 or 48 hours), and then reopen it at another point, and amarok doesn\'t bother checking the playlist. Anyway, when it happens upon a song it can\'t find, it just stops playback altogether, which is a huge pain in the butt... also, when it does crash for real, I can never tell what song it crashed on (though, I can apparently look at the console to dig it up, I\'ve just heard, but I havent\' tried it yet).

Anyway, when I\'m using amarok for work, I need it to KEEP playing, and the fact that it stops is the worst portion, but the fact that I don\'t know what it\'s choking on is almost as bad...

Naturally, I could manually select \"remove duplicate and dead entries\" from the playlists menu, but I typically want to keep the duplicates in my playlist -- especially at work, where I\'m required to repeat certain tracks every so often. Besides, it doesn\'t always seem to clear out the dead tracks, nor does it do anything with files that make amarok choke. Separating the \"remove duplicates\" and \"remove dead entries\" might be another feature I really need.

By the way, what is the most reliable engine for amarok? I\'ve had problems with gstreamer and xine both, but I\'m looking for other opinions (there\'s no way I\'m using arts).

Thanks.
jackson
mlmitton wrote:
I\'ve raised this issue before, and I think the developers take the stand that any file which isn\'t playable shouldn\'t be in the playlist at all. If an unplayable file does make it in, they consider that a bug.

I disagree with that stand, but I\'ve already laid out my arguments previously and wasn\'t persuasive.

And, no, I rarely use dynamic mode.