This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wish: Popularimeter

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Highelf

Wish: Popularimeter

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:23 pm
Hi,
i really love amarok. I recently took a look at http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames.txt and found out, that with PCNT = play counter and POPM = Popularimeter there where 2 tags done for a really good rating system. Would it be possible to support those tags someday? I know that lot of people don\'t like the rating or so being saved in the mp3 files, but as an optional possibility, I would love it. with the POPM you can even give different rating for different user, even an user-dependent count of time played.
I took a look at Taglib, but couldn\'t find a way to access those tags. If I got the source-code right, amarok is using Taglib for taging, so taging those \"special\" tags would need working on taglib directly?

Thanks for amarok, the reason why I\'m stuck to linux,
Highelf
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:Wish: Popularimeter

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:03 am
No, taglib has methods that allow you to access those odd tags.

I don\'t really see the benefit of using PCNT or POPM. Plus you have to remember that any tags we support have to be the subset of tags available in OGG, MP3 and FLAC.

Post edited by: eean, at: 2005/08/06 23:03

Amarok Developer
mortiferus
Registered Member

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:30 am
Would it not, if there realy is someone who wants their files vandalised ( ;) ) be relativly easy to write a script witch wrote the score and playcount to the files?
There is dcop calls for the location, you can find the file extension (to not tag e.g flac etc), dcop calls for boths score and playcount. And dont amarok give the scrips a message on trackchange? So someone who wants this could write a script that ether writes those tags to the files every time they are played, or just to every file in the collection.
Mike Diehl
Registered Member

Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:03 am
Actually you could just use dcop amarok collection query for a more versatile script. You could simply query amaroK\'s DB for whatever you want, like playcount, using a file\'s url and then run it against all your files.

Post edited by: madpenguin8, at: 2005/08/07 02:03