This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Removal of hardware volume mixer.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
krj

Removal of hardware volume mixer.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:56 pm
I have recently compiled beta3 of amarok and discovered that volume mixer doesn\'t cooperate with my soundcard (SBLive/oss). Guessed that it was connected with the removal of \"hardware volume mixer\" option. Why this option had been removed? It was very, very useful because I didn\'t need to control my volume via kmix like I must do it after the beta3 changes. :/
X
I\'m inclined to agree with krj, I very much like the hardware volume mixer, this way I could use the same controls to change the volume universaly throughout linux. I beg of you, go back to the old way.
Cobra
I second that ! I won\'t touch a version of amaroK newer than 1.3 beta2 unless you add it back. I don\'t want to use KMix, I hate it, it sucks. I want to use my scroll wheel on the amaroK icon to set volume throughout my whole system. Besides the soft-volume also sucks - it has a delay equal the length of the buffer AND it\'s linear - not exponential. PLEASE, bring it back to normal.
X
I wouldn\'t go so far as to day I\'d stop using newer amaroK versions, but it certainly is a big inconvenience.
Jukka
Registered Member
i wholehearteldy agree. i find it very annoying that the hw mixer was removed.

i\'m going back to beta_2
Juki
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Just to prove that we\'re not purely evil (although we\'re generally a mischievous band of thugs), here\'s the original thread from our mailing list which led to removal of the feature:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... m_id=37495

Post edited by: markey, at: 2005/08/16 13:57

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Jukka
Registered Member
Ok, thank you markey for clearing up the reasons behind the decision.
I guess this is the only way to go.

Still, even tho i kind of ranted, amarok beats the rest of music players 100-0

Good job.
Cobra
Maybe you could add it as a plugin/module/only include it on Linux/whatever ?