This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Covers and ID3

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Franz

Covers and ID3

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:46 pm
Hello,

I recently discovered this player and it\'s a very nice work i like it very much.

I think covers are important for the visual aspect, more fun when you see the cover while playing. I\'ve encoded all my tags with covers embedded, 600X600 jpeg, so that it\'s possible to see it in a correct format.

Amarok 1.3 reads the covers in the tags and it\'s a great feature. I suggest some improvements (some of them are certainly already in work) linked with the id3 cover feature:

- Add the possibility to play the albums from the cover manager (would be a grrrrrreat feature), for example by double-clicking on the cover, or in a right-click menu)
- Add a function in the cover manager permitting to scan the collection sothat it\'s able to display them all (for the moment i have 1.3 beta 2 and the cover appears only when a song from the album has been played once).
- For the moment the cover appears in the upper left and in the cover manager but it seems not to appear in the lower left, where showing other albums from the same artist.
- Add the possibility to view the cover at a larger size while playing.

Go on that way and thanks for your work, it\'s already to me the best player i\'ve tested.

Franz
mortiferus
Registered Member

Re:Covers and ID3

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:07 am
Franz wrote:
- Add the possibility to play the albums from the cover manager (would be a grrrrrreat feature), for example by double-clicking on the cover, or in a right-click menu)

Open the cover manager and drag one of the covers to the playlist. But you are right, it is not a very userfriendly way, as you then have controll over 2 windows just to playback a album. A way to playback directly from the cover manager (wihtouth draging) would make it more feasable to use the covermanager as a album-selecter (altough it is probarly not what it is intended for).
Franz

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:20 pm
Right, the feature I request is the cover manager as album-selecter.

I think it would be a very great feature. I\'ve tested many programs running on MS XP and the only one that permit this kind of feature is Musicmatch Jukebox. As I\'m now migrating on Linux, I\'m very happy to see Amarok as a free software with such a cool interface and the good visual use of covers.

Do you think this feature would be difficult to develop?
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:29 pm
Franz wrote:
Hello,

I recently discovered this player and it\'s a very nice work i like it very much.

I think covers are important for the visual aspect, more fun when you see the cover while playing. I\'ve encoded all my tags with covers embedded, 600X600 jpeg, so that it\'s possible to see it in a correct format.

Amarok 1.3 reads the covers in the tags and it\'s a great feature. I suggest some improvements (some of them are certainly already in work) linked with the id3 cover feature:

- Add a function in the cover manager permitting to scan the collection sothat it\'s able to display them all (for the moment i have 1.3 beta 2 and the cover appears only when a song from the album has been played once).

Yea, this probably should be added to the collection scanner.
- For the moment the cover appears in the upper left and in the cover manager but it seems not to appear in the lower left, where showing other albums from the same artist.

I have no idea what your talking about, could you make a screen shot?

Amarok Developer
Franz

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:10 pm
I try to explain it better as I\'m not often home and it\'s difficult to take a screenshot :

When I play a song, the cover of the album appears in the cover manager and in the library window with the other informations found in the tag.

When you play a song, you also have another cool feature showing the other albums from the same artist. But there, the covers of the albums don\'t appear, even if I already played a song from this album and even if the cover manager shows the cover.

Hope it\'s more clear.

Franz