This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

smart playlist question

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jkl

smart playlist question

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:01 pm
I\'m running amarok 1.3 beta2 and trying to set up a smart playlist. What I want is to create a playlist that picks a random album and returns all of the tracks from it, prefferably sorted in track order.

I\'m looking at the options and I just don\'t see a way to do this. Can anyone point out something that I\'m missing?

I don\'t know sql but can guess that a crude way to implement it would be to pick a random track, grab the album name and then generate an sql query for that album. It\'s weak because it will weight albums with lots of tracks higher than those with fewer tracks but might be a starting point.

Anybody that knows the codebase have a better idea?
Samuel Krempp
Registered Member

Re:smart playlist question

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:42 pm
jkl wrote:
I\'m running amarok 1.3 beta2 and trying to set up a smart playlist. What I want is to create a playlist that picks a random album and returns all of the tracks from it, prefferably sorted in track order.

I second that !
picking a random album to play next is my usual mode.
I used to have a shuffled list of my music directories and launched xmms on one random album at a time..

now smart playlists could make that a real nice drag-and-drop action.

I found several other posts asking about that in the past months.
afaik for now there\'s no way to do it but change the code directly, which shouldnt be too hard I guess.

Implementing a UI to let the user define that kind of custom smartlist, would be real sweet. surely lots of work though...

in the meantime I guess hard-coding that kind of smartlist is the only way.

I\'d have a use for other, simpler smart playlists :
- current album (when listening random tracks and want to queue the other tracks of the album, it would be one drag&drop with a proper smart playlist)
- current artist (same thing)
-current directory (would be useful when hunting down mis-tagged tracks when you come across a stray track...)

Is anyone planning to code new default smartlists in the near future ?
jonny_eh
Registered Member

Re:smart playlist question

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:53 am
This may be unrelated but:
Is it possible to exclude some albums from smart playlists (like comedy albums, or musicals)?