This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

feature request: make auto scoring optional

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bubbleguuuum
Hi

Subjects says all I\'d like the program not to set score at all so I could set my own score. Now I know I can edit manually score but this does not prevent the program to change it over time. I have a huge collection and really need to do the scroing myself to sort out what I like most and what I like less

Thanks!
Mike Diehl
Registered Member
Currently this is possible with the script interface and dcop, more of a hack, but it would work.

dcop amarok player encodedURL
dcop amarok player score
dcop amarok player setScoreByPath url score

oh, and this might help to http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/index.php/Sc ... ting_HowTo

The rest you get to figure out :).
N7DR
Registered Member
bubbleguuuum wrote:Hi

Subjects says all I\'d like the program not to set score at all so I could set my own score. Now I know I can edit manually score but this does not prevent the program to change it over time. I have a huge collection and really need to do the scroing myself to sort out what I like most and what I like less

Thanks!

I started using amaroK a few months ago, and I agree that I definitely want some way to set the scores so that they don't keep wandering around. This is especially true because the auto-scoring algorithm is biased (in the mathematical sense) so that scores always increase with time. After a few days' listening to music, I get pretty fed up of pushing scores back down all the time -- to the point where the score feature is basically useless, which means that dynamic playlists based on score are an exercise in frustration.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Your responding to a very old thread. Since then, scoring has become entirely scripted. You can have it score however you want.

Amarok Developer
N7DR
Registered Member
Ian Monroe wrote:Your responding to a very old thread. Since then, scoring has become entirely scripted. You can have it score however you want.

I apologise.

Can you or someone please point me to the documentation on how to control the scoring algorithm? I've looked in all the places that seem obvious to me, and can't find anything at all. (Actually, I spent quite a bit of time looking before I made my original post.)

Somewhat to my surprise, given that it's scriptable, no one seems to have produced a script that causes the score to be unchanged when a song is played. So I need to find the documentation on controlling the scoring, so I can see if I can figure out how to write a script myself.

[FWIW, the FAQ doesn't seem to make any mention of this capability at all; it points one to the code for collectiondb.cpp, and gives no hint that this can be overwritten.]

Again, I'm sorry to have troubled you.
marcel
Registered Member
OS
How about just stopping any scoring script in the script manager? This stops scoring at all. You want to implement your own scoring algorithm? Take a look at the existing ones (there are two included). They are very short and simple ruby scripts.
Or you disable scoring in the config menu and just use rating.

BTW, for the sake of completeness, there's a DCOP call to disable scoring, if you want it to be off just for some time.

marcel
N7DR
Registered Member
marcel wrote:How about just stopping any scoring script in the script manager?

Where is it documented how to do this?

I have looked in the amaroK Handbook that was installed with amaroK; I have looked everywhere I can think of in the wiki. I can't find anything that relates to anything you have said at all :-( No doubt everything you say is true -- but I'm afraid that it doesn't help me to say something like "you can do with it X", when I have searched all the documentation I can find pertaining to X and it doesn't mention scoring :-(

You make it sound like I'm missing something dead easy, which may well be true, but it's sure not for want of looking.

OK; on to your specific suggestions:

The only thing in the script manager is called Shouter.py, and the "About" for that doesn't mention scoring -- so I don't see what I am supposed to stop.

You want to implement your own scoring algorithm? Take a look at the existing ones (there are two included).

Where are they included? I read every one of the descriptions of the scripts in the "Available Scripts" section of the wiki and nothing there seemed like it was much to do with scoring.

Or you disable scoring in the config menu and just use rating.

I don't see a config menu. I am running the amaroK that comes with Mandriva Official 2006 (i.e., the version that is officially supported by Mandriva); it's amaroK 3.4.2. Mandriva has not released any later versions. Maybe the config menu was called something else in 3.4.2, but I didn't see anthing related to scoring anywhere.

BTW, for the sake of completeness, there's a DCOP call to disable scoring, if you want it to be off just for some time.

I looked at the entire list of DCOP calls in the wiki (in fact, I did that before I ever posted anything) and cannot see anything that says it disables scoring.

In other words, I have tried to be responsible and did exhaust all the documentation I could find before coming here. The only scoring documentation I could find anywhere was in the FAQ, and as I mentioned earlier it just points me to the code in collectiondb.cpp.
Jocke "Firetech" Andersson
Registered Member
N7DR wrote:it's amaroK 3.4.2. Mandriva has not released any later versions. Maybe the config menu was called something else in 3.4.2, but I didn't see anthing related to scoring anywhere.

Uhm, there is no Amarok 3.4.2, that must be your KDE version. (I don't know about Mandriva, but they might have changed Amarok's version to KDE's, I don't really see any reason to do that though...)
The latest released version of Amarok is 1.4.1, anyway.

Don't care about my post count. I'm an IRC guy, occational hacker and part of roKymotion.

"I will run gentoo when pigs fly. By the time that happens, I'll have a sufficient computer."
oggb4mp3
Registered Member
On Mandriva I think you have to install the amarok-scripts package.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Greg Meyer wrote:On Mandriva I think you have to install the amarok-scripts package.
O.o. Those effing ****.

Amarok Developer
Jarsto
Registered Member
OS
marcel wrote:How about just stopping any scoring script in the script manager? This stops scoring at all.

The last time I tried this it didn't actually work. If I turn of scoring in the scriptmanager it somehow gets turned back on automatically. If I leave open the script manager it gets back its running-icon when the song changes, but it actually scores the song being played while it was supposedly turned off as well.

Jarsto

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
W. Somerset Maugham
N7DR
Registered Member
Jocke "Firetech" Andersson wrote:
Uhm, there is no Amarok 3.4.2, that must be your KDE version. (I don't know about Mandriva, but they might have changed Amarok's version to KDE's, I don't really see any reason to do that though...)
The latest released version of Amarok is 1.4.1, anyway.

Sorry. It's amarok 1.3.1. The About box then proceeds to tell me that it's running under KDE 3.4.2, and of course being a twit I just looked at the last number on the line.
I am fully up-to-date with Mandriva updates, so it appears that they don't support any later version.
N7DR
Registered Member
Greg Meyer wrote:On Mandriva I think you have to install the amarok-scripts package.

When I try to do that, I get the wonderful error message:
  Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:

amarok-scripts-1.3.1-3mdk.x86_64 (due to unsatisfied smoke)

I have run Mandrake/Mandriva happily since 2000. I'm seriously thinking that it's time to look elsewhere.