This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

trash-can

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
niko

trash-can

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:40 pm
amarok needs a trashcan. im in love with the drag and drop functionality but removing songs from the playlist (one or several) can be a real, well, drag with right-clicking, finding the remove button etc..

how about a trash-can? song you dont like? drag it to the trashcan and its off the playlist...
Frido Roose
Registered Member

Re:trash-can

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:38 pm
Where would you put the trash can?

As someone already pointed out, it could be useful though if one could delete files directly from the context and collection tab. Now you have to add your song to the playlist and delete from there.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:18 am
Frido: Niko wasn\'t talking about deleting, but about removing items from the playlist. You could already use the Desktop trashcan for that.

Niko: just use the Delete key. It removes items for you.

Using a trashcan to remove items from the playlist would be mixing up the metaphor. Trash cans are for deleting.

Amarok Developer
niko

Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:41 pm
so I should use the \'delete\' key for removing but a trashcan wouldn\'t work because a trashcan is for deleting.. how is using the \'delete\' key not mixing metaphors if all it does is remove?

a trashcan is pretty much recognised as a \'safe delete\'. no one ever expects putting their stuff in the trash will delete it. its a simple thing to try out, and once people realise all it does is take something off the playlist, then its easy.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:50 pm
A delete key is a key on the keyboard and isn\'t a metaphor. Thats the best answer I can give. :P Its also the key people should be used to from using other apps.

A trashcan is for removing items from the hard drive, the fact that it happens to be safe isn\'t that relevant. If you drink Steve Jobs Cool Aid, its also for ejecting CD drives on Mac OS. Just because Mac mixes up its metaphors doesn\'t mean we have to.

Post edited by: eean, at: 2005/08/31 17:51

Amarok Developer
Frido Roose
Registered Member

Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:28 pm
I agree... I already was confused thinking you wanted to delete songs from your disk, not removing them from the playlist... it\'s intuitive to use the delete key... Actually I never used the richt-menu item \"Remove from playlist\"... as from day one, it felt natural to just press the delete button. You use it all the time in all kinds of applications (spreadsheets, download managers, ...) And it\'s way faster to press the delete key than to drag a song to a basket. If you really would like to drag it somewhere, then I think the collection is a more appropriate place to drop... like you put your cd back in its case and then in your case box. Just an idea...

However, it\'s less intuitive to have to add a song to the playlist first before you can delete it from your collection. Or maybe the idea is that you first want to hear it before you delete it from disk...