This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

iPod nano

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mrFloppy

Re:iPod nano

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:29 am
still having the same issues as ppl above even with following through with the gtkpod create directories hack. All perms have been chekced and double checked. have attempted through sym and hard links from /mnt/ipod -> /media/ipod. The nan is being detected correctly by the system and I can browse it under KDE

as before, I have an iPod nano, FC4 and I want to help. if there is anything we can do to get this working under linux, please ask, as I refuse to sync this **** under windows/mac ;)

should we report a bug or is this forum posting enough for a start?
Chris McLean
Registered Member

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:32 am
sorry, thought it best that this be posted as a registered member:
==================================================
still having the same issues as ppl above even with following through with the gtkpod create directories hack. All perms have been chekced and double checked. have attempted through sym and hard links from /mnt/ipod -> /media/ipod. The nan is being detected correctly by the system and I can browse it under KDE

as before, I have an iPod nano, FC4 and I want to help. if there is anything we can do to get this working under linux, please ask, as I refuse to sync this **** under windows/mac

should we report a bug or is this forum posting enough for a start?
Mike Diehl
Registered Member

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:58 pm
Have you tried to sync your nano using 1.3.2?
Chris McLean
Registered Member

Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:19 am
thanks for the feedback but I am using 1.3.2.

after my posting from last night, and after much trial and error, I had some success and am currently syncing the nano with amarok. here\'s what I ended up having to do (not sure if all these steps are needed, but this is what I did to get it working):

1) create the symlink from /mnt/ipod -> /media/ipod, mount the nano (mount -t fat32 /dev/sda2 /media/ipod)
2) fire up gtkpod, ensure it finds the nano, create the directories via the menu
3) sync at least 1 track through gtkpod
4) kill gtkpod, unmount & eject the nano (umount /media/ipod;eject /dev/sda2)
5) re-plug the nano, mount it and fire up amarok
6) hey presto, the nano is recognised

as I said, I am currently syncing for the first time with amarok, but it seems to be going fine (much quicker than with gtkpod).

I can only guess why the above works - amarok needs to find a specific directory/file structure that gtkpod creates? I must also point out that it was a virgin nano (stright out of the box) that I was having trouble with in the first place and I am guessing that in windows/mac os on the first sync, iTunes does some magic on the ipod, which is what was screwing up amarok.

anyhoo, pointless conjecture aside, it is working and the above process worked for me - your mileage may vary.

keep up the good work amarok as well - good to see top quality apps being produced for linux. If there is any further testing I cna help with, pls let me know.
Mike Diehl
Registered Member

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:31 am
The problem is empty iPods are not recognized by amaroK. This problem has been fixed in svn.

BTW, no need to mount your iPod before starting amaroK anymore either, the connect button allows you to mount/umount. Also, umount and then eject can be replaced by eject alone with proper permissions set for eject, have a look at this thread http://amarok.kde.org/component/option, ... 8260/#8260

Post edited by: madpenguin8, at: 2005/09/25 03:36
Chris McLean
Registered Member

Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:16 pm
hmm.... ok, more woes. in a nutshell, here\'s what is happenig:
- tracks put on the nano through gtkpod are visible from amarok and on the nano
- tracks put on through amarok are not visible on the ipod
- after a sync with amarok when gtkpod is opened, it give a CRC error on the ipod db and asks to repair it.
- after repair, the new tracks are visible on the nano
Ratbert

Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:48 am
mrFloppy wrote:
hmm.... ok, more woes. in a nutshell, here\'s what is happenig:
- tracks put on the nano through gtkpod are visible from amarok and on the nano
- tracks put on through amarok are not visible on the ipod
- after a sync with amarok when gtkpod is opened, it give a CRC error on the ipod db and asks to repair it.
- after repair, the new tracks are visible on the nano
I have this problem with my 20gb color, except instead of no tracks being visible i get a limited selection that doesn\'t seem to change with further syncs through amarok and even reappears if I sync with amarok after repairing the DB through gtkpod.
Francis Belanger
Registered Member

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:38 pm
I do not have this trouble...

I think the key there is to just use Amarok or gtkPod but do not mix the both... they seem to screw things when you use them together...
Ratbert

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:04 pm
inkubus wrote:
I do not have this trouble...

I think the key there is to just use Amarok or gtkPod but do not mix the both... they seem to screw things when you use them together...
No, the only reason I ever installed gtkpod was because of this problem. :P
Chris McLean
Registered Member

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:12 pm
ditto... writing to the nano (after it is initialised through gtkpod) from amarok causes problems. I must then use gtkpod to make whatever I have written in amarok available - after the DB fix mentioned earlier. I cannot see any way to use amarok without also using gtkpod.

is there any testing I can do?
Francis Belanger
Registered Member

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:44 pm
Yes finally I had the troubles ... went to gtkpod and repair the DB and it worked like a charm...
Ratbert

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:46 am
Yeah, works fine after using gtkpod although I wish I didn\'t have to do so.

Now, the only other problem I have iPod/amaroK-wise, although not nearly as serious, is that none of the genre tags(written by LAME, taglib, and eyeD3) are being moved over... while everything else seems OK. Both taglib and eyeD3 have no problem with them but gtkpod, the ipod itself, and even iTunes have significant problems... either reading the genre numerical code as the actual genre name, reading nothing at all, or on seemingly random occasion reading it fine but only with gtkpod or iTunes.
Ratbert

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:50 am
I might be on to what is happening though... doing some testing.
Ratbert

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:42 am
I should have said that the iPod wasn\'t reading it at all when fed by amaroK.

Anyway, directly setting the genre string and nothing else to the TCON field seems to fix it. Before some allowances were taken that aren\'t available elsewhere.