This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

iPod nano

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Juan Ehrenhaus

iPod nano

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:44 pm
I know that is may be to early, but can amarok 1.3.x work with a iPod nano?
THX
Juan_Lutz
Mike Diehl
Registered Member

Re:iPod nano

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:48 pm
We don\'t know yet, but if it is just an iPod mini with flash as we suspect it is, it will work. We are still awaiting feedback on this, so stay tuned.
werewolves

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:39 am
Just received my brand new iPod nano today, and I\'m sad to report that I can\'t get it working with amaroK. It is a vfat file system, and I can mount it as /dev/sda2 = /mnt/ipod with no problems. When I hit the \"connect\" button in amaroK, I get:
[code:1]Could not find device, please mount it and try again.[/code:1]
I am using amaroK 1.3.1, and would desparately love to get some music and podcasts on that ****. Please send help!
lfranchi
KDE Developer

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:42 am
its really hard to add support for a player that a) has no released specs and b) has not been reverse engineered yet.

your best bet is to buy a dev a nano, and voila! in a few weeks you get support. :)

Post edited by: lfranchi, at: 2005/09/14 07:44

Amarok developer.

lfranchi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
werewolves

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:33 pm
OK, maybe asking for help was the wrong idea. Let\'s try again with an offer to help.

I have a nano, Linux, and amaroK. I am willing to provide the output of any commands that will help reverse engineer it. I will be happy to send debug output. I can mount the device, so I can send details on what is in the directory structure, etc.

Please allow me to assist.
Francis Belanger
Registered Member

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:56 pm
I\'m looking foward to this also, I\'m gonna get my nano in 1 or 2 days.
so if you need some help and some output I can help.
spacefight

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:48 pm
I have a nano and ai tried it with amaroK 1.3.1 (I guess) on Fedora Core 4 and I could browse the nano fine with amaroK, play the tunes fine but transferring files to the nano or from the nano was not possible, amaroK crashed.
highmoon

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:13 pm
Maybe strange to hear, amarok 1.3.0 seems to partially work with iPod nano.
When I pressed transfer button, I got error (can\'t create /mnt/ipod/~/F016/kpod*.mp3). Manually mkdir /mnt/ipod/~/F016, then tried again, file was successfully transferred and recognized by iPod nano(registered in library).

P.S. I have vfat formatted one.
spacefight

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:28 pm
yeah right. the nano has only f00 trough f06, so one has to add manually f07 through f19 manually on /mnt/ipod (or wherever your ipod is mounted).

How do you get tracks off the nano on to your hard drive?
Francis Belanger
Registered Member

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:33 pm
You mean that if I create those folder amarok will work with the nano?

Post edited by: inkubus, at: 2005/09/16 16:34
highmoon

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:38 pm
>How do you get tracks off the nano on to your hard drive?
Sorry, I haven\'t even try.
I can\'t try it til tommorrow\'s night.
highmoon

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:59 pm
>You mean that if I create those folder amarok will work with the nano?

I think so. But I don\'t know if it can harm iPod nano or not.
In addition, amarok 1.3.1 broke library in iPod nano at least for me. It can be because of my mount option though... I don\'t know anything about diffrences of manupulating iPod between 1.3.0 and 1.3.1.
spacefight

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:49 pm
yeah as you said yourself earlier, the fnn folders reside in /iPod_Control/Music/ (cannot verify but something like that), I did that this morning on the nano and gtkpod 0.94 did the transfer fine. I have yet to check it in amaroK but honestly, amaroK is overloaden for my gusto.
werewolves

Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:57 pm
I was too scared to add directories manually. Luckily gtkpod does that for you. gtkpod worked like a charm, so I figured maybe amaroK would recognize it now. It did! Unfortunately as soon as amaroK finished transferring files, it crashed, and oddly (very oddly) it launched Evolution! I repeated this several times, so again, if anyone out there wants some kind on debug output or something, I can reproduce this at will. For now I\'ll have to stick with gtkpod.

PS: after syncing it with my wife\'s Mac just to get some tunes on it, mine is now hfsplus, if that makes a difference.
venkatu

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:35 am
if you have gtkpod 0.94:

connect your iPod and make sure it gets mounted properly. on kde 3.4 with dbus & hal enabled, the device gets mounted in /media/IPOD. i made a symlink from /mnt/ipod to this directory (would appreciate if amarok lets me select this directory instead of looking at a hardcoded path, /mnt/ipod :)

do a \"create iPod directories\" in gtkpod, this will create the necessary directories.

once this is done, unmount ipod, plug it out, exit from amarok, plug teh ipod in, mount it and fire up amarok you should be able to connect and transfer!

though amarok\'s iPod support is minimal (only reading & writing your audio files is supported), it\'s really simple and cool!

thank you amarok guys, this is one music player that i held on too, really :)