This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Only iPod?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
liquidat

Only iPod?

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:02 am
After troubling around with a *** mtp player I bought myself a nice ums capable player - but now I don\'t know how to copy my files directly form the device to amarok, and, even more important, from amarok to the device.

There is this nice iPod button, but it is useless for all the people who do not use an iPod. And I think these are a lot. So why not change this button to access other devices, too? It is enough to add ums devices now (USB mass storage), and to have the iPod there. In later times you could add mtp, but we had this discussion already and it is a little bit early for this (not enough devices with it around) ;-)

liquidat
sebr

Re:Only iPod?

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:35 pm
Don\'t despair!

These are planned on the developer TODO!
oSonnYo
Registered Member

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:17 am
i think there\'s a script to transfer to usb device!?
Mike Diehl
Registered Member

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:10 am
Yes there is a script on kde-apps, and yes we know all about how limiting it is for non-iPod owners, just search the forums.
liquidat

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:39 am
Hm, haven\'t found something in the forum...but ok, if its on the developers todo, than everything is ok, and I am happy again ;-)

liquidat
muphicks

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:35 am
When additional devices are supported, what sort of features could be expected? I was thinking it would be useful if Amarok when prompted could mount say /mnt/usb then transfer all your podcasts to the device and re-generate a podcast play list for each podcast.

Currently I\'m using a shell script to rsync my podcasts/data/ dir to my iRiver whihc is just mounted on /mnt/usb

I might later improve this to build a playlist for each podcast dir (or see if amarok already does that - I\'ve only just installed so not totally upto speed on amarok).

One feature that would be nice though is a way to delete or flag podcasts you\'ve listened to on your player and have them removed next sync from both player and main PC. How tricky this would be to do in a generic way though I\'m not sure. So long as the transfer script kept track of what had been copied across to the remote mp3 player I guess it wouldn\'t be too tricky.

Anyhow, I was just wondering what was planned for future support, till then I can certainly make do with my existing script and might have a go at making it into an amarok script if I ever get a spare bit of time.
kbulgrien

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:30 am
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=35156

Try this... It\'s better than the copy to directory script that was up before today. I put it together to help my wife not be so frustrated with the complications of getting stuff on her player. Still could use a feature or two, but I think it is a step forward until someone does the integral media device for UMS.