This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok for right-handed

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Omar

Amarok for right-handed

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:52 pm
hi,

I noticed in kde (and other Desktop except MacOsx) it\'s there\'s no choice for right-handed, i know the rules is to follow the reading sens but i find that weird cause for right-handed we have to do more distance to reach a button or clickable fonction with our right mouse.

More over, KDE being localised thus supporting several language of witch read from right to left.

it would be cool to have choice to arrange as we want for right-handed. (eg: menu to right, sidebar, icons etc...)

My desktop is organized in this way but some flaws still like menu, icons auto arranged to left, toolbars etc..

-okay, what about amarok?
-it\'s the same fight :)

also, disable menubar would be cool too like in all kde apps

cheers

Omar
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:Amarok for right-handed

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:43 am
By right-handed you mean people who use the right hand most of the time? Um, most of us are right-handed. Um. So its not like we\'re optimizing for left-handed. I don\'t see why because we\'re right handed we would want stuff on the right side of the screen, that doesn\'t make any sense. Maybe if you had a stroke in the right side of your brain you\'d need everything on the right side to see it correctly. Otherwise...

As far as right to left languages, start amaroK with --reverse.

Post edited by: eean, at: 2005/09/14 22:44

Amarok Developer
Omar

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:54 pm
It does have a sens, cause with your mouse on right, you have to seek the screen to left to reach your option/icons/etc...

It\'s not optimized okay, but it\'s not optimal too, why on mac all icon, options can be reached on right? i said \"can\" so we have choice.

Even if you don\'t see interest, this option has to be available. :)
In fact it is a general notice, not limited to amarok but it could have the possibility to put the sidebar on the right.

thanks for your response.
Hydrogen
Registered Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:14 pm
Meh.. is it really _that_ important? Its the difference between a shwoosh and a shwosh in drag time... and does not really seem that important... Of course, I\'m left handed, but still.. arn\'t their better things to work on?
Scott M. Likens
Registered Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:19 pm
I just find this absurd.

There\'s nothing more to add to this.
SomethingGood

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:14 am
Omar... how big is your moniter??? it takes me a fraction of a second to move my mouse from right-to-left, and i can see the entire screen without moving my head at all; i dont understand how it\'s more convenient to have the bar on the right.
Omar

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:30 am
And why we wouldn\'t have the choice??!
At least just by homogeneity.
It\'s not just about distance or speed, but also habit, i find more logical to use t right-hand on tools being on the right, that\'s it;

Anyone could use his desktop/apps as he want.
Damm:
Do i have to understand it\'s absurd for right-to-left reader?
Moreover, a lot of tools provide this choice, especially in professionnal apps.

SomethingGood:
Yes it\'s more convenient :)

I don\'t think it\'d be hard to put sidebar of amarok on the right.
By the way, i remember we can do it in older version of kde.
Oh yeah, don\'t forget also i want the possibility to hide menu like in all kde apps :)

cheers
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:02 am
Having my mouse on my right hand doesn\'t mean the cursor is on the right. They have no relation. So it makes no sense.

It is true that for folks who read right to left its weird that --reverse doesn\'t put the sidebar on the other side. That will take a developer who cares to fix it (meaning, someone who uses Arabic or Hebrew).

Amarok Developer
Omar

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:33 am
Hi eean,

It\'s not specially about cursor, i know my english isn\'t perfect but damn...

You could take a look on some movement you do, you\'ll see it\'s just more natural to move to the right with right-hand.
I know some linux-geeks are against ways coming from Apple, but i just quoted MacOsx as reference \'cause i remembered there\' was exactly this thought there.

Moreover, on a real desk, when you use tools or want to reach a pen, do you arrange those on the right or on the left? (if you are a right-handed)
Human habits are the same in virtual env.
You cannot deny the idea there\'s an psychological influence on your manner to use a thing and i don\'t know how to explain that but when i use my right mouse i get my visual focus and movement directly on the right.
It\'s why there are reals and serious studies on human behavior on computer.

It is true that for folks who read right to left its weird that --reverse doesn\'t put the sidebar on
the other side.

Especially when it was possible in older Kde iterations.

That will take a developer who cares to fix it (meaning, someone who uses Arabic or
Hebrew).

Or again japanese :)
However it is a excellent proof, my point isn\'t just based on how others cultures work.

Anyway thanks for your add.

best!
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:33 am
Hmm, I believe the Japanese usually read left to right on the computer, they\'re not so picky.

You\'d have to get more scientific then \"like Apple\" if you want to convince anyone. :P

Amarok Developer
Omar

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:59 pm
Okay, impossible to speak seriously here.

thanks OPEN COMMUNITY.
Clank

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:20 am
Okay, here\'s the \"Serious Open-Source Community\" way to handle this:

You want a feature added to a program.
Ask the developers if they want to add it.
If they say yes, all is good. If they say no, then you can either make your own patch to the application or find another app that has the functionality you\'re looking for.
The End.

There\'s no need to complain to devs that a feature isn\'t included, ESPECIALLY when neither the devs nor the vast majority of the userbase expresses no interest in the requested functionality.
Omar

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:22 pm
Clank you didn\'t get my point as everyone, maybe my english was the cause.
I\'m not asking or ORDERING anything to devs here, i was speaking with dev and Users! don\'t fool on me.
But users flame me, that\'s it! Without any good reasons...
The proof they don\'t understand, they came with speed argument or anything else, stupid!
Here, i was speaking about HABITS and choice possibility!
But i understand g33ks are a bit robotics. (semi-joke) :p

Open Community is and especially USER in my concept.
And why i said that, it\'s because - AGAIN - somebody answers side.

Damn, whan you want kill somebody, you are pretty constructives!
Look at my last sentence: Impossible to speak seriously... TO SPEAK!! i didn\'t say \"ASK\" or \"ORDER\".

if devs have been hurt or offenced, i\'m sorry but read my thread, you won\'t see no such attacks or pitiful complaints.

Now, i admit to have made a mistake, i wrote on the wrong forum.

Seb Ruiz, when you are writing an article about any complaint, please, give all clues in linking towards accused discussion.
Ruiz\'s article

best regards.

¯Omar RIFFI