This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
niko

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:57 pm
any chance the collection browser could have an alphabet at the top that filters?

I hate it when Im looking for something beginning with O and there is only one band starting with O and 20 with N and P. Obviously it gets found eventually but it can just be a tad annoying when it gets lost in the throng.. this could also be good for countries with alphabets different to English* because they may not remember the order of the alphabet.. god, even I have a hard enough time figuring out if T or S comes first.. it just wastes valuable seconds in looking..

I know the search functionality exists but I find something cumbersome about it..
sebr

Re:ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:06 pm
you want another 26 buttons in the toolbar?
Hydrogen
Registered Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:09 pm
Does that mean we could have, with i8ln, ~400 buttons? :)
niko

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:11 pm
i think it could look nice. just a small horizontal banner underneath the search bar and above the \'artist/album\' banner.
niko

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:15 pm
Hydrogen wrote:

which alphabet has 400 letters? :blink:
sebr

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:16 pm
what if...

if there are less than 2 characters in the search bar, only filter the first category ?
niko

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:20 pm
seb wrote:
what if...

if there are less than 2 characters in the search bar, only filter the first category ?

what do you mean?

typing \'a\' in the search bar obviously doesnt filter artists that begin with \'a\', it filters anything with an A in it. maybe just some syntax in the search bar would work so you could type +A or whatever and it displays just the artists beginning with A, or +B and only artists beginning with B show up
sebr

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:26 pm
yeah thats close enough to what i meant
niko

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:36 pm
I dunno how many people Ive converted here so I\'ll provide a real world example.

Say I want to listen to Husker Du. In my collection Ive got correct tags so the band reads Hȕsker Dȕ (or whatever the actual letter is).

It is impossible to search for because I do not want to go to the character map to do that, and hunting it down in the collection list is annoying and frustrating. I have to search for an album title..

Im sure Husker Du arent the only band with non-standard characters as their second letter.. I can think of Motley Crue, Mum, and others off hand..

But if I was just able to filter the list down to H, at least that makes things easier to find..
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:16 am
Another solution could be to support regular expressions, this would also enable more powerful filtering.
veal

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:33 am
what i do in such situations is pick a long enough string in the middle of the name.. you could do \'sker d\' in your example although that\'s a bit cumbersome ... until there is some sort of enhanced search mode.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:05 am
niko wrote:
Hydrogen wrote:

which alphabet has 400 letters? :blink:
Who said anything about an alphabet? Simpilified Chinese has something like 3000 characters. Japanese has its own version of that, plus a couple more alphabets.

This is a stupid idea anyways, but its not doable because of i18n. Your not supposed to have writing in icons... let alone icons representing characters.

Amarok Developer
niko

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWRXYZ

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:56 am
im not talking about \'icons\', im talking about hypertext.

or failing that, more powerful syntax in the search bar.

you\'re such a negative character eean.. i think you need to lighten up a little, chill out rather than jump down anyones throat who has a suggestion.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWRXYZ

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:16 pm
You can use the google-like syntax in the search bar already I believe.

And don\'t worry about me. Its an artifact of the medium that I can sound harsh sometimes.

Amarok Developer
stokedfish

Re:ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWRXYZ

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:05 pm
imho, if you want to improve the search, take a look at yammi and madman...

http://yammi.sourceforge.net/

1. it has fuzzy search (rocks!)

http://amarok.kde.org/component/option, ... 1166/#1166

(fast and easy fuzzy search (search 5.000 songs in less than a second for a misspelled song)

[img size=150]http://yammi.sourceforge.net/pics/search-middle.png[/img]

2. awesome search filters!

[img]http://madman.sourceforge.net/shot_prefs_window_full.png[/img]

:-)