This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Script idea - automatic file organizer

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Czajnick
Hi!

I have an idea for a script, which will automatically manage music files, create apropriate directories and move files there, name files according to artist and title. And set mp3 tags (artist & title) based on information from amaroK. Similar functionality is built into iTunes player.

User should set a directory (in a config file or anywhere) where all files will be moved and organized.

For example (let\'s assume that user set /mp3 as the directory) we have an album named Album by Artist containing 10 songs. The files should be automatically moved to:

/mp3/Artist - Album/1 - Song title.mp3
/mp3/Artist - Album/2 - Song title.mp3
/mp3/Artist - Album/3 - Song title.mp3
etc.

(all directories automatically created if needed)

Of course it should be configurable (4 textboxes to tell the script how to handle single-artist albums, multi-artist albums (eg. soundtracks), unknown albums (unknown album title) and single songs).

The script should update the collection (file name, directory etc) when I change tags in amaroK.

What do you think about my idea?

English is not my mother tongue, so sorry for any mistakes.

Czajnick
EvilGnome
I have been dying for a good official amarok script for this...please someone make this happen.
Mike Diehl
Registered Member
I can\'t remember the last time I looked at my filesystem that contains my collection. That\'s the beauty of it, not needing any order, the collection takes care of that for you. :)

BTW, when moving tracks you\'ll lose the stats for that track, that is unless you get clever with dcop query. :)

Post edited by: madpenguin8, at: 2005/09/27 04:45
Michael Mitton
Registered Member
I wrote a script (on kde-apps) Audio Format Converter that I think you could hack to do what you\'re looking for.

My script asks you for a destination directory, and then gives you a couple options for how to name your output files (for example, /artist/album/track#_title). Then, it takes a snapshot of the amaroK playlist, and all files get converted and placed into the directory structure you chose. So really, all you\'d need to do is to pull out the actual converting.

The script does a check for whether the input format is the same as the output format, and it then gives you the option to either skip the file, or to go ahead and do the conversion. I can add a third option to just copy the file to the new dirctory, and that\'ll do what you\'re asking, I think. It could be a few days before I have the time, but I\'ll try to get to it soon.

Should I create a whole new script to do this? Or is leaving it as an implied feature of AFC sufficient?
Czajnick
I think there should be a whole new script to do this. It will give you (and other developers) the ability to improve it, add new functions (eg. lyrics and cover dumping), the script will be easier for new users to find on the amaroK website, easier to use and configure (one script to do one thing... a user who would want just to organize his/her collection would not have to deal with format convertion options). That\'s my opinion.