This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

feature request / first impression

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tobias Knieper

feature request / first impression

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:25 pm
Hey people,
til yesterday I used Yammi (http://yammi.sourceforge.net/) as my favorite music player, but now it is amaroK.

Currently there is only one feature i really miss in amaroK, and that\'s the fuzzy search. Yammi displays percentages by typing in characters. It wouldn\'t be so hard to implement it I think.

Concerning the usability i would suggest that it is better to put the toolbar with the play, pause, volume stuff at the top of the screen, not at the bottom. It is quite unusual for kde apps to show it at the bottom. Or maybe make it configurable, but each new configuration bloats the code..

Regards,
Tobias Knieper
fish
Tobias Knieper
Ah.. and I forgot something.

It would be great if the playlist pane would have a reasonable vertical scroll pane. When you have many columns selected the playlist squeezes them together. It would make more sense to expand the width.

Regards,
Tobias Knieper
Mario Hoerich

Re:feature request / first impression

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:15 pm
Tobias Knieper:
Currently there is only one feature i really miss in amaroK, and that\'s the fuzzy search.

Would be useful in conjunction with google-style syntax: artist: AND titlef:, where the f-postfix means fuzzy search, naturally. Just dreaming... ;)

Concerning the usability i would suggest that it is better to put the toolbar with the play, pause, volume stuff at the top of the screen, not at the bottom. It is quite unusual for kde apps to show it at the bottom.

You\'re right about it being unusual, but I still disagree. The top of the player pane already contains menu, tabs and searchbar and is thus quite crowded already. Adding another bar of widgets might easily overload it, I think. The only thing I could imagine is adding the widgets to the menu bar. I.e. menu on the left, controls on the right.
Like this.
That\'s no less non-standard, however.

Regards,
Mario
Tobias Knieper

Re:feature request / first impression

Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:28 pm
Mario Hoerich wrote:
Concerning the usability i would suggest that it is better to put the toolbar with the play, pause, volume stuff at the top of the screen, not at the bottom. It is quite unusual for kde apps to show it at the bottom.

You\'re right about it being unusual, but I still disagree. The top of the player pane already contains menu, tabs and searchbar and is thus quite crowded already. Adding another bar of widgets might easily overload it, I think. The only thing I could imagine is adding the widgets to the menu bar. I.e. menu on the left, controls on the right.
Like this.
That\'s no less non-standard, however.

Regards,
Mario

An other idea:
It should be possible to make the searchbar a widget for a toolbar.
Then put this searchbar in the toolbar (and maybe drop the equlizer on small screen resolutions). And then make it configurable where the toolbar should be positioned.

Or:
Again make the searchbar a widget for a toolbar. Put this searchbar in an optional toolbar. Then make the position of the bottom toolbar configurable.

Regards,
Tobias

Regards,
Tobias