This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Gamarok??

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ossi
Registered Member

Gamarok??

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:50 pm
I am using Amarok now since quite a while. Its a great music player, for sure the best with Linux. Anyway, I use Ubuntu and anybody of you guys here knows, that the distro gets a lot of interest. So I wanted to ask if anyone is working or interested to integrate Amarok better in the gnome desktop. Though I know you are all big KDE fans here, I was just wondering...so keep calm. ;)
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:Gamarok??

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:50 pm
Err, did you have anything in mind?

Amarok Developer
apachelogger
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:51 pm
please define \"integrate Amarok better in the gnome desktop\"

I don\'t get what you mean

Annoyed with bbcode since 1999.
Hydrogen
Registered Member

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:58 pm
using gtk instead of qt would be riddiculously dumb.
Jussi Kekkonen
Registered Member

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:08 pm
Using GTK would mean losing dcop too, am I right? nice...
Mike Diehl
Registered Member

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:12 pm
No, there are c bindings for dcop.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:23 pm
Tm_T wrote:
Using GTK would mean losing dcop too, am I right? nice...
It would mean re-writing the app entirely. :) I\'m giving ossi the benefit of the doubt that they didn\'t mean that.

Amarok Developer
lfranchi
KDE Developer

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:41 am
Wouldn\'t work, you cant really just rip out the UI. It would be long and ugly and hackish. Especially since QT and KDE go so much hand-in-hand.

Amarok developer.

lfranchi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
oggb4mp3
Registered Member

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:47 am
I really think you mean amaroG :)

Anyway, would be extremely hard because it is built around kdleibs, but maybe somebody at ubuntu could develop a patch to make it look more gnomish.
ossi

Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:45 pm
Ok, lets call it amagroG - does not sound that good for me. And looks are not the problem - one can adjust that oneself fine. It\'s not the problem.
What disturbs me when using it is the long start time when I kick it off for the first time. I guess there have to be a lot of kde libs loaded. When you quit it after that and start it again its no problem - because everything is loaded. I guess thats the reason,, otherwise correct me.

But one thing that probably could be done quite easily ( I am not at the bleeding edge of programming - i am something like a user, k? though I got no clue if that really exists when using Linux) is using Firefox instead of Konqueror. Otherwise you got to install those packages. And I d like to remind you that fading does NOT work properly with using the Gstreamer esd output plug-in (standard Ubuntu stuff). I use Amarok 1.3.1 and will now have look if things improve with breezy.