This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

remote player window

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Audun Ytterdal

remote player window

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:33 am
Hi again.

Another cool thing idea i wanted to put out there iis the following scenario

Create a engine that just interfaces with a central player engine in a office so alle employes share the same stereo equipement, but they all have their own amarok frontend.
This would probably work to add music, by using a special engine and a shared mysql-database, but is ther any way to make the playlist window sync with the engine as well. So that the playlist is shared among all the office-workes (or your girlfriend)

Or a amarok running in the livingroom, but you can controll it using another instance of amarok on your laptop in the couch.

The webinterface kind of does this allready, but the real interface would have been better.

So i guess the request is some sort of plugin-able playlist window.
mortiferus
Registered Member

Re:remote player window

Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:41 am
Something like MPD (music player daemon)?
Audun Ytterdal

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:56 am
Yes. Very much like mpd. And i guess to make a mpd engine for amarok would be pretty easy. But to make the interface talk to mpd as well?
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:28 am
Audun Ytterdal wrote:
Yes. Very much like mpd. And i guess to make a mpd engine for amarok would be pretty easy. But to make the interface talk to mpd as well?
mpd is for controlling the sound on one computer from multiple apps and computers. That doesn\'t sound quite like what you want to do, at least in the office scenario.

And a mpd engine would not be easy.

Amarok Developer
Audun Ytterdal

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:10 am
eean wrote:
Audun Ytterdal wrote:
mpd is for controlling the sound on one computer from multiple apps and computers. That doesn\'t sound quite like what you want to do, at least in the office scenario.

Infact it is. I work in a linux company, there is one hi-fi stereo in every office. There is usually 3 or four people in each room that share this stereo.

And a mpd engine would not be easy.

Ok. What would be the main problem?
sirdiego
Registered Member

Re: remote player window

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:55 pm
It would be very nice if i can use Amarok2 as an mpd-Client. Are there any plans?
sirdiego
Registered Member

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 pm
*bump*
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:03 am
sirdiego wrote:It would be very nice if i can use Amarok2 as an mpd-Client. Are there any plans?

No, there are no such plans. MPD and Amarok are not really compatible, technically.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:32 am
I don't know much about mpd, but it seems to me that it should be possible to build a service that lets you connect to mpd and browse and play content.

- Nikolaj
CyberTribe
Registered Member
OS

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:26 am
I second that - having amarok being able to control mpd will make it so much better.
Or at least being able to control one instance of amarok from another instance, running on diffrent computers.