This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok and Gstreamer NAS plugin

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fassan

Amarok and Gstreamer NAS plugin

Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:51 pm
First, let me say that Amarok is the best music app I have ever seen! I really enjoy usig it, and sincie it is so good, I have a question now.

I want to be able to use Amarok to play music on one computer and have the audio come out of another computer which is attached to the home stereo. I am guessing that this is what the Gstreamer NAS plugin is for. Only problem is, I haven\'t figured out how to set it up. I have NAS installed on both machines, but I need help to configure it so that this works.

I checked out the main NAS page, but I couldn\'t quite figure out what to do.

Also- are there any updates or plugins planned to let amarok handle video- I don\'t know that I need it too, but if it turned out as good as the audio part....
lfranchi
KDE Developer

Re:Amarok and Gstreamer NAS plugin

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:41 am
I don\'t know about the NAS stuff, but amaroK has support from the NMM engine (Network Multimedia Player) that should be able to do this. I have no idea how, howerever. If you do get this feature to ever work, it would be great if you could post a little mini-howto on the wiki as well :)

regarding video, no, we will not be adding video support to the main app. there are many reasons, but one of the few biggest ones are complexity and bloat. not everyone wants video support---why should we force them to deal with such a huge change in amaroK? also, amaroK is a very good audio player because it is designed for one sole purpose: to help you organize and play audio. also, we don\'t really know the best way to start.

now, this doesn\'t mean we would castrate someone who decided to send us a patch ;)

Amarok developer.

lfranchi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.