This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Smoothing out dynamic playlists.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
shinysteve
Registered Member

Smoothing out dynamic playlists.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:32 pm
Hi.

I\'m impressed with Dynamic playlists. So much so, I got really into them on Saturday night and started wondering how I could influence them to provide a smoother mood experience.

I have searched all over for info on the algorithm that you use and havent got source-code skill to reverse-engineer your algorithm but am I right in saying that you only use related artists from last.fm to bring in new tracks?

I\'d like to see the use of Genre too if possible. That is, take my ID3 genre tag, lookup top 5 artists from last.fm, take the sample of top 5 last.fm tags from each artists and use only suggestions within these parameters to choose tracks.
Alternatively, add a last-fm tag-lookup capability to the smart playlist function.

Someone suggested on the forums that album art affects the selections. That can\'t be true right?

Regards and thanks for a superb program.

S.
shinysteve
Registered Member

Re:Smoothing out dynamic playlists.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:58 pm
Just to bump this - Anyone know the algorithm used to choose new songs in a dynamic playlist

Am I right in saying that amarok only uses related artists from last.fm to bring in new tracks?

Regards to all.

Steve.
oggb4mp3
Registered Member

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:35 am
No, you can use whatever you choose in a smart playlist, like genre, or artist, or score, etc.
oggb4mp3
Registered Member

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:36 am
shinysteve wrote:
Hi.
Someone suggested on the forums that album art affects the selections. That can\'t be true right?

HaHa

That\'s a good one. It\'s amazing what people come up with. :p
sebr

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:43 am
The default action, which is random, does exactly that - it grabs a random song out of you collection and appends it to the end!

Suggestions takes a random songs from the related artist of the currently playing artist and appends it!

You can, as oggb4mp3 said, make a dynamic playlist which will grab a random song out of a specific (smart) playlist. This is handy when you want your songs to be weighted by a particular field, say score or playcount.