This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

multiple collections?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Steve

multiple collections?

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:04 pm
is it possible to have multiple collections? For instance: I have a lot of music on what I consider my file server that I share via samba and nfs to my xbox, laptop, etc. I also have music on my laptop for when I travel. I\'d like to have one collection for what is on my laptop and one for what is on my \"file server\" so that when my laptop is on my home network I can listen to all my music and when its on the road I can listen to my laptop music without having to use different logins

Thanks!
dangle_wtf

Re:multiple collections?

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:34 am
I was mucking around a bit with this...

I set up a couple of mysql databases with different names, and changed the db name under the collections tab. At first I was having to rebuild the database each time I changed the name, as I was changing the selected path as well, until I realised that if I have all the paths that *could* be covered by any one collection checked, I was able to switch back and forth with no problem.

Of course I had to initialise each db manually, by setting the path I wanted, and rescanning, but once this was done, I just turned all the paths on. make sure you have \'watch folders for changes\' turned OFF - or the rescanning will be a problem again.

It\'s not elegant, but it works for me :)

edit: just double-checked... it works on multiple mount types too. I have some stuff locally, and some on an nfs share. I did have to restart amarok after initialising each db though.

Post edited by: dangle_wtf, at: 2005/11/06 22:44

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
sebr

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:52 pm
coming soon to a release near you! Hopefully included in 1.4
zetxek

Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:09 pm
That feature will really rock! I\'ll love amarok still more now :D

By the way, i don\'t knwo any other media player (windows, linux, doesnt mind) who does that... do you know any?
a user

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:30 pm
Yes, we want this feature. I used to enjoy this feature in Musicmatch 7.5 in windows and it is really useful because I have a large collection of music in two different languages and I have different listening preferences in each of them.

Being able to easily switch libraries when I want to listen to my english songs and vice a versa would be great! I hope this feature is added to what is already one of the greatest music players in anyt platform soon.
Andreas Mair
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:09 pm
Hi,

seb wrote:
coming soon to a release near you! Hopefully included in 1.4

Great news!
Any ideas when this will reach SVN?

Regards,
Andreas
basquiat

Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:22 pm
You guys are so amazing! Multiple collections, I didn\'t even dare to ask... That\'s _so_ great, especially for the notebook users. ;-)
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:53 am
Any news on this feature request? This would be especially useful to separate my bootlegs from my regular albums from my classical collection! I want this!! :D
Rahman Amanullah

Thu May 04, 2006 11:37 am
Seb Ruiz wrote:coming soon to a release near you!  Hopefully included in 1.4

I am just curious, since 1.4 is out there as beta, has this feature been implemented? I was looking for it in 1.4beta3, but could not find it anywhere. Any news on the topic? I am using AmaroK on a laptop, and would love to be able to have multiple collections.
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Re: multiple collections?

Sun May 07, 2006 9:37 pm
I haven't found it, if it does exist in beta3.  It sure would be sweet, though! ;)

Speaking of libraries, I sort of wish amaroK had a "library" much like iTunes's.  Or perhaps tabbed playlists?  That way you could have multiple playlists open (one being entire library) and select which to play music from.
sebr

Sun May 07, 2006 10:31 pm
No, there has been no work towards this for 1.4, unfortunately. There have been too many other things to do :)
Jean-Phi
Registered Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:24 pm
Seb Ruiz wrote:No, there has been no work towards this for 1.4, unfortunately. There have been too many other things to do :)

Any hope to see it soon ?
ranma
Registered Member

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:44 pm
Is this feature still considered?, I think it would be very useful for me, since I have my "well tagged" music as mi collection, and it would be great to have a second collection with my untagged/to-do files and don't mess my main collection.
fidot
Registered Member

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:43 am
I would actually suggest a bit different approach which I think mostly makes sense for us travelers :)

I would prefer if there will be a single collection, but multiple paths available for the same file. Basically, now your collection becomes track-centric rather then file-centric. There could be some hash value or some sort of special metadata entry that will tag two files as being the same (md5sum as the easiest solution). Then adding new files to the collection would add new filepaths to existing tracks if files with the said tag already exist in the database. The tag could be user-configurable (i.e., 'Tracks of the same artist from the same album are the same).

Then, say, when I come home I would have all my collection available, because I mount my NFS share. If I unmount it, the portion of my collection that's local on my laptop is still available, while all the rest is still there, just greyed out (not available for playing). But when I plug in my 60 GB audio player that has some of the music that was missing on the laptop's HDD, that tracks become available as well.

Basically, your collection  becomes a superset of music that you have, with portions of it available at any single time, depending on which files are available at that time.

Last edited by fidot on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
dangle_wtf

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:15 am
This is pretty close to the way Amarok behaves now... although it seems different system setups cause the dynamic collection feature to behave inconsistently.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"