This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok AAC File Handling

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gandalf2041

Amarok AAC File Handling

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:13 am
My collection is approx 50% .mp3 and 50% .m4a. When I scan my music collection, none of the AAC files show up; however, when I manually add them to the playlist, Amarok plays them without complaint. It doesn\'t seem to be able to parse the tags from the .m4a files either. Is there any way to add these files to my collection and have the tags correctly parsed? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :)

-Gandalf2041
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Re:Amarok AAC File Handling

Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:54 pm
Sorry, that\'s an issue of taglib which lacks m4a support (AFAIK). amaroK will only add files to the collection if taglib was able to parse the title information.

This is independent from your engine\'s capability of playing some formats and IMO a very disturbing thing. I see that you cannot add titles that lack title information to a database, but maybe one can add at least a manual add procedure where you then type in the details of a file (or use musicbrainz or whatever).

Does anyone know the status of taglib (in detail the plans to extend it to support more media file types)?
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:28 pm
marcel wrote:
Sorry, that\'s an issue of taglib which lacks m4a support (AFAIK). amaroK will only add files to the collection if taglib was able to parse the title information.

This is independent from your engine\'s capability of playing some formats and IMO a very disturbing thing. I see that you cannot add titles that lack title information to a database, but maybe one can add at least a manual add procedure where you then type in the details of a file (or use musicbrainz or whatever).

Does anyone know the status of taglib (in detail the plans to extend it to support more media file types)?
amaroK SVN already has support for AAC, you just have to have the proper libraries.

Amarok Developer
gandalf2041

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:20 pm
Pardon my ignorance :dry: , but what is Amarok SVN and WHICH libraries are needed?
aumuell

Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:29 am
subversion, short svn, is a version managements system, mainly for source code management. amaroK is developed using svn. the current development version is not available as released tarballs, but only via svn.

if you really feel brave enough to use the (not necessarily stable) devel version, then follow the instructions at http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index. ... SVN_amaroK

aac tag support needs libmp4v2. for most distributions there exists a package faad2 (and faad2-devel), which should provide this library. however, your results will be better (fewer unreadable tags) if you use libmp4v2 from mpeg4ip. just have a look at the readme of amarok-svn.
gandalf2041

Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:26 pm
Thanks! :) I\'ll take a look at the link and check my libraries. I\'m pretty sure I have faad2 and faad2-devel but, I\'ll try loading the libmp4v2.
gandalf2041

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:29 pm
UPDATE:
=================================
I tried going the subversion route and got up to the
[code:1]./configure --enable-debug=full --prefix=`kde-config --prefix`[/code:1]
command. I got the following error:
checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.3 and < 4.0) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.

However an [code:1]rpm -qa |grep qt[/code:1] reveals:
qt-devel-3.3.4-15.4
qt-3.3.4-15.4

I am running gnome, not kde but I am assuming this should still work. Where have I gone wrong?
oggb4mp3
Registered Member

Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:40 am
What distro?

You will also need kdelibs.
gandalf2041

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:38 pm
I\'m running Fedora Core 4. Here\'s the output from rpm:

[code:1]rpm -q kdelibs[/code:1]
kdelibs-3.4.2-0.fc4.1

would the config.log help? I\'m not a programmer so it doesn\'t help me much. I don\'t see any option to attach it though. Is it possible to attach a file to this post?
oggb4mp3
Registered Member

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:29 pm
I believe on fedora, kdelibs-devel is also required, because they separate the dev libs. As for not finding qt, I can think of two things:

1) is there a libqt or libqt-devel?

2) if no, maybe running ldconig will help
gandalf2041

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:20 am
Actually, I tried that as well. I have both kdelibs and kdelibs-devel now...still no joy. I tried running ldconfig by itself (does it need any specific parameters?) which didn\'t work. I also looked around for libqt and libqt-devel. Neither of those appear to be installed but I can\'t find them using yum with the livna and kde-redhat repos. I checked for both standalone rpms as in:

[code:1]sudo yum search libqt[/code:1]

And provided libraries as in:

[code:1]sudo yum provides libqt[/code:1]

I didn\'t come up with hits on either query. How do I get the libqt and libqt-devel installed?
oggb4mp3
Registered Member

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:28 am
I really don\'t know about fedora. Maybe you could stop into #amarok on freenode and talk to one of the fedora users.
gandalf2041

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:46 pm
Just wanted to post a quick update. I was able to get rid of the qt errors by logging into KDE directly instead of gnome. I still haven\'t be able to compile amarok though. My last attempt was using the SVN script which ended by saying something along the lines of \"...compilation was not successful. Try contacting one of the nice people at #amarok\" Apparently the script agrees with you...:P