This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok do not play 22khz mp3\'s

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Serge

Amarok do not play 22khz mp3\'s

Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:27 am
I had Suse 10.0 Linux and Amarok 1.3.1.
Amarok did not wish to play 22kHz mp3\'s. I have updated Amarok up to version 1.3.6, but a problem have not solved
What I do wrong??
aumuell

Re:Amarok do not play 22khz mp3\'s

Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:24 pm
There is quite some probability that this is related to your engine. Did you try a different one? For which engines does it fail?
Serge

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:02 am
It fails playing 22khz files with Helix engine. But Helix is only one that works at all!
Serge

Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:31 am
I forget to say that after a try to play 22khz file engine fails to play mp3\'s AT ALL!
foreboy

Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:36 am
send me a 22kHz mp3 and I\'ll check it out (email: paul@cifarelli.net)
Serge

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:20 am
I tried for other media players (Banshee, MPlayer etc). All of them play theese files well. When I start playing 22khz file in Amarok while playing other (any freqspeq) file in other player (such as MPlayer for example) the sound section breaks with something like \"radio detuning\". e.g. I hear the sound and I understand that it is a music playing by MPlayer, but it more similar to noise. (one sound frame plays well, second is simply empty and so on).
I think that Helix tries to resetup pcm for freqspeq instead of resample music file..??
P.S. I have used Helix with ALSA and MPlayer with [OSS|ALSA] all the time while testing.
Paul Cifarelli
Registered Member

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:26 am
how about Realplayer - can you play them with that?
Serge

Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:00 am
Yes. RealPlayer 10 plays it. And Banshee plays it. And MPlayer plays it. And mp3blaster and many others. I have been enjoying these files for more over than 10 years! :)

By the way MPlayer (at least) do not do resampling of low-sample-rate files too. It tries to with multi-threaded OSS at first, and if it fails MPlayer tries to use ALSA. And there is now problems. It initialize thread with ALSA\'s snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_resample() if hardware supports resampling and snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate() if not.

P.S. I did not delve into Amarok\'s sources because I dumb in QT and gui at all :). QT brings me in panic
dangle_wtf

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:04 am
It does sound like a problem with the helix engine... have you checked their site for bug reports or patches?

Maybe it would be easier to fix your problems with the other engines. Can you be more specific about how they don\'t work?

Perhaps this link might help...
http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/MP3_on_SUSE_Linux_10.0

Post edited by: dangle_wtf, at: 2005/12/13 04:06

Post edited by: dangle_wtf, at: 2005/12/13 04:09

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Paul Cifarelli
Registered Member

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:43 pm
we\'re only trying to get to the bottom of the problem, not trying to excuse the behavior or suggest that you shouldnt listen to the files. I will create a 22k mp3 and try it, but I have been doing this long enough to know that it is at least possible that there is some other aspect of the file besides its bitrate that could be the problem, which is why I asked you to send me one (if there is no copyright on it). The helix engine really doent care much what the bitrate is, but if it plays in RP10 then it must be a problem with the engine. Same if it plays in banshee *with their helix engine*. That is plays in other players is irrelevant to localizing the problem.

Feel free to take dangle\'s suggestion below and try to get another engine working - but I would still like to investigate this problem.

Paul (foreboy on #amarok)
foreboy

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:36 am
Do you have the equalizer on? I seem to have a problem with low
bitrate/low sample rate mp3s with the equalizer on -- turning it off
makes them play. Can you verify? (I was only able to encode a 24k - none of the encoders I have allow 22k bitrate).
foreboy

Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:05 am
ok, I believe from the symptoms that the problem is the equalizer - I can duplicate using a low samplerate file. Nothing will play again until restart as you observed.

Fix will be in 1.3.8
Serge

Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:21 am
Heh... The problem realy was in equalizer. I simply forgot to try to disable it :) After I disabled the eq-r all my fav mp3s began to play :woohoo:
Thanx. So I\'m waiting for 1.3.8 release :)