This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dynamic Mode rapes collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Stephan Hässelbarth

Dynamic Mode rapes collection

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:21 am
Hello guys. I installed amarok-1.3.7 today and was playing with the dynamic mode. That left me with an empty collection. After having played two or three songs, the entire collection vanishes and was never seen again. Fortunately I had a backup, but that\'s certainly not the intended way, is it? What\'s up there?

Kind regards, Stephan
carl0ski

Re:Dynamic Mode rapes collection

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:38 am
Do you mean it deleted all your files?
i have never ever seen this with any KDE software

or did amarok
Removed the music from the database?
or
Remove all your symlinks to your music?

the latter 2 are the result of not having permission to read the music (cannot be used) the symlink/file becomes useless so it is removed from your music list.
Stephan Hässelbarth

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:01 pm
OK, that was misleading. You\'re right, amarok removed all music entries from the database. I cannot imagine, that amarok couldn\'t read the directories, because it runs with my user permissions (rwX).

Besides, the entries do not vanish, when I refresh the collection; they disappear when playing music with the dynamic mode. Rebuilding the collection always worked - sometimes only until I played the next two songs.
sebr

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:06 pm
This is very strange, have never heard of this before...

which database?
Stephan Hässelbarth

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:25 pm
It\'s the builtin SQLite database. Never bothered to set MySQL up :-) Until version 1.3.5 everything went fine, only 1.3.7 shows this strange behaviour...
dangle_wtf

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:02 pm
One thing you could try is backing up/deleting your old ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/collection.db and allowing amarok to create a completely new one. This has solved any disappearing track problems I\'ve had in the past.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Stephan Hässelbarth

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:44 pm
Well, I rebuilt the collection several times during the last week, because I hoped this problem will fix itself, somehow. And, of course I deleted the old, defunct collection.db in advance.

Right now, I discovered, that this problem not only happens in dynamic mode, but on normal playing, too. That\'s very, very strange. The only thing I did to the collection this day was downloading some covers from amazon...

Now I\'m forced to check the collection every hour or so and saving it to a backup, if it\'s not gone by then, just in case. That\'s not normal.
Stephan Hässelbarth

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:27 pm
Okay, downgrading to version 1.3.6 fixes this problem. I admit, the dynamic mode is not guilty. The empty database phenomenon occurs (randomly?) when simply playing tracks.
Stephan Hässelbarth

Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:57 pm
Unfortunately I was to quick with my last post: The problem still occurs with version 1.3.6, though it was\'nt present before upgrading to 1.3.7 and then downgrading. I confirmed [url]https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=118215]bug 118215[/url] today.
dangle_wtf

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:38 am
shows an invalid bug number for me...

does the problem still happen if you turn off \"Watch folders for changes\" on the collection settings tab?

And have you tried mysql yet? This would help narrow down the problem.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"