This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

mp3 devices

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tardigrade

mp3 devices

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:33 am
I have seen quite a few requests for support for media devices besides iPods. Of course the response to this is that amarok and ipods are both databases blah blah. I have no idea how the ipod support works but i still think that adding a general USB mass storage device support could be a really useful tool. I have had an iriver iHP and now have an iAudio X5 both of which are nothing more than mass storage devices. Im sure there are many more that follow this design. Anyways I made a really fast mockup showing things i would like to see. The idea would mostlytake advantage of amaroks awesome interface and then mostly use the tags from there. I only wish I could program myself. Im just curious as to what people think of the idea so comment or criticize please.
http://mysite.verizon.net/resq8gsz/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/amarok_usb_device-mockup.jpg
Hydrogen
Registered Member

Re:mp3 devices

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:43 am
The problem is not the coding, its the availibility of devices to test it with. In 1.4, media device support is fully modularized, and as such, can easily be swapped in and out. Find someone to write you the code, and be willing to maintain it, and it can be added
tardigrade

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:22 am
Hydrogen wrote:
The problem is not the coding, its the availability of devices to test it with.

I think you missed a bit of what i am trying to say. It would only be for mass storage devices. So its just a storage space already mounted at a specified place. It could even be your ~ folder for example. There would be no need for an actual device to test it on because it would assume your device is like a regular old place in the file system. Many people have poorly organized music(in the file system) but organize it with tags in amarok. It would ultimately be a way for users to easily copy files to their devices in an organized way that is mp3 player friendly. Assuming the developers (are you one hydrogen?), who are very awesome I might add, don´t say flat out no I would be interested in coming up with a list of devices this would work with.
Hydrogen
Registered Member

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:52 am
tardigrade wrote:
Hydrogen wrote:
The problem is not the coding, its the availability of devices to test it with.

I think you missed a bit of what i am trying to say. It would only be for mass storage devices. So its just a storage space already mounted at a specified place. It could even be your ~ folder for example. There would be no need for an actual device to test it on because it would assume your device is like a regular old place in the file system. Many people have poorly organized music(in the file system) but organize it with tags in amarok. It would ultimately be a way for users to easily copy files to their devices in an organized way that is mp3 player friendly. Assuming the developers (are you one hydrogen?), who are very awesome I might add, don´t say flat out no I would be interested in coming up with a list of devices this would work with.

I see what you mean now. I also am not quite sure of the worth... It would be an easy implementation of a plugin, or just use the Transfer_to_media_device script on kde-apps.org, that may be your best bet.

I am not a developer, just a member of amaroK promo team and active in the community