This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: amaroK daemon

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MartinZ

Feature Request: amaroK daemon

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:58 am
I would love amaroK to interact with mpd, but i understand that\'s too difficult.
Instead of that, i would suggest developing an amarok daemon. It shall just support basic features:
- play files in amarok\'s playlist (or collection)
- mysql (so it could also record the statistics)
- same engines and output settings as amarok (crossfading, random, etc), so it just continues playing when amarok is open

The advantages i see in a daemon are:
- The music starts playing when daemons are loaded. No need to wait until x is loaded and open amarok.
- Uses less resources. If you want to do something more than listening, then you open amarok and all the great features it has.
- Much more stability. If amarok crashes, the daemon keeps playing.
- No x-server dependency. If i just want to work in command line, i don\'t need to open an x-server. If x crashes or is manualy closed, the daemon also keeps playing.

Congratulations for such a great application. I\'m an Xfce user, but can\'t live without it!
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re:Feature Request: amaroK daemon

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:27 am
No, this won\'t happen. We might however one day have a XMMS2 engine (when it\'s actually reaching a stable release). XMMS2 is based on a client/server architecture.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:51 am
In the meantime, you could look at one of the various php frontends for the amarok db - there\'s at least one for each of the mysql and sqlite databases. These don\'t require amarok to be running, only that there\'s a database available, and play as a stream through your browser.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
MartinZ

Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:13 am
All right, thanks for the reply. I guess amarok can\'t handle everything that people wants...

And i\'ll watch for a php app as you dangle suggest.