This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

difference between playlists

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DrScott

difference between playlists

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:10 am
Is it possible to get the differences between two playlists or a playlist and the whole collection?

After adding new songs to my collection over a long period, i am not sure if i add them all to appropriate playlists.

How do you handle this problem?
dangle_wtf

Re:difference between playlists

Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:27 am
have a look at smart playlists. If there\'s not already one there that suits your needs, it\'s simple enough to create your own based on your criteria. The beauty of smart playlists, is that they\'re automatically adjusted to reflect changes in your collection.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
DrScott

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:52 pm
Can you please give me some hints how to solve my problem using smart playlists?

AFAIK it is not possible at the moment (i use amarok 1.3.1) to define conditions which refer to the playlist assignment of a song

Is there a way to define a condition \"all songs not included in playlist X\"?

Do i have to switch to the current version to have this feature?

Kind regards
Henning
dangle_wtf

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:30 pm
Firstly, upgrading to 1.3.6 or 1.3.7 will get you many improvements.

What I mean about using smart playlists is... there must be some criteria you\'re using to add tracks to particular playlists. Try translating those rules into something that can be used to define your own smart playlists, then use those instead of your existing playlists.

You don\'t say what it is that makes you put a track in a specific playlist... can you give an example?

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
DrScott

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:21 am
I have a huge playlist containing all songs which are \'suitable\' as background music. Only songs which are to \'loud/hard\' (e.g. rage against the machine) are not included. So my criteria is based on my taste and cannot be translated in a condition. So the only solution is to manage the playlist manually.

I just discovered the possibility to use dcop calls in a script. I try to write a script which will create that difference-playlist for me...

Kind regards
dangle_wtf

Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:41 pm
You could simplify this by using the genre tag in a way that is meaningful for the style of music. For example, RATM wouldn\'t be classified as the same genre of music as someone like Beethoven. Then create a smart playlist based on that genre.

Note that \"genre\" is a purely arbitrary classification. While some might argue that there are set definitions, the fact is that within tags you\'re free to classify your music any way you like. As a topical example, I have a collection of tracks from all different styles of music that I have labelled with the \"Christmas\" genre tag. This means that I don\'t have to manually go through building a collection of these tracks - I can simply create a smart playlist that only adds tracks to a playlist if they have that particular genre set.

Alternatively, you can create a smart playlist that contains everything, but excludes tracks with the artist tag \"Rage Against the Machine\". The possibilities are (almost) boundless :)

Post edited by: dangle_wtf, at: 2005/12/19 07:42