This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

True gapless playback?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Eric

True gapless playback?

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:57 am
Is it planned to implement true gapless playback in amaroK (using the LAME-headers of LAME-encoded files)? That would make me very happy.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re:True gapless playback?

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:09 am
Heh, you\'re lucky: It has been implemented just yesterday. With amaroK 1.4 and xine 1.1.1, you\'ll get true gapless playback now.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Eric

Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:31 pm
Thankyou so much, I am very grateful for that. I already have xine-lib 1.1.1 installed, any idea when amaroK 1.4 will be released? I am running Arch Linux, and bleeding edge as it is, it hopefully won\'t take long before it is available in the repositories.

Again, thankyou for the gaplessness :cheer:
Hydrogen
Registered Member

Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:18 am
1.4 is a ways off

You can use svn if you want thouhg :) http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/AmaroK-svn
Mike Arthur

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:48 am
Fraid its still not true gapless, theres still a slight gap.
Tested on foobar and my Rockboxed iRiver, neither of which do crossfading, and both read the LAME headers, and they both have no gaps, and the current Amarok SVN definately does.

And yes, I have Xine 1.1.1 installed.

It\'s better than before, but still needs a wee bit of work.
Mike Arthur

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:54 am
Mike Arthur wrote:
Fraid its still not true gapless, theres still a slight gap.
Tested on foobar and my Rockboxed iRiver, neither of which do crossfading, and both read the LAME headers, and they both have no gaps, and the current Amarok SVN definately does.

And yes, I have Xine 1.1.1 installed.

It\'s better than before, but still needs a wee bit of work.

I lied!
Fiddled with my asoundrc and it works perfectly. Well done fellas, this is the one feature I\'ve been wanting for AGES!!
Bill Gates

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:56 pm
What exactly did you change?
I\'m also using amarok-svn (january 10th, 2006) and I also have xine-1.1.1. I\'ve tried to \'fiddle\' around with my /etc/asound.conf but I don\'t hear any differences, there still a short gap between tracks.
Yoav
Registered Member

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:04 pm
Bill Gates wrote:
What exactly did you change?
I\'m also using amarok-svn (january 10th, 2006) and I also have xine-1.1.1. I\'ve tried to \'fiddle\' around with my /etc/asound.conf but I don\'t hear any differences, there still a short gap between tracks.

ditto. still a short gap.
I didn\'t actually try to "fiddle" with my ~/.asoundrc, as I have no clue about what to do...
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:06 pm
Gapless playback can never work 100% with MP3 files, due to the padding in the last frame. It does however work perfectly with OGG and FLAC files.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Yoav
Registered Member

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:06 pm
Well, I have one album encoded in FLAC, and it is 100% perfect on some tracks but on others you can still hear a clicking sound. Well, I guess it\'s track-dependant.
The funny thing is that with XMMS you can achieve, lets say a 99% gapless playback (most of the time, if you do hear a click, it\'s really slight).
Well, I guess from this point on it becomes sort of niggling. If you can make it any better, great. If not, well it\'s ok too. all in all, amaroK is a great player :)
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:01 am
Could it help to introduce a very short crossfading from track to track, let\'s say 250-500ms (how long can the mp3 padding be?). By this, it should not really cut of the end (at least you should not realize it) and remove any gap.
Harald

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:15 am
Gapless playback can never work 100% with MP3 files

It can be perfect, if the files are encoded by LAME. I am under the impression that amaroK will now support reading of the LAME-headers, and thus get true gapless playback. Did i misunderstand? Ogg Vorbis and FLAC are gapless formats, so they should always be perfect.