This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Shared collection?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Gnurou

Shared collection?

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:20 am
Hi everyone,

My music collection is located on my home server, so that it is accessible from anywhere. At my home it is mounted using NFS. I\'d also like to access it from my office or from anywhere - in this case it is mounted via sshfs. My problem is that although I can access the music files fine, I cannot share the properties (song score, etc.) that are contained into the database. I\'m using MySQL so that all clients can access the DB, but it doesn\'t perform well for obvious reasons (files not necessarily in the same directory, amarok rebuilds the database, and so on...)

I think a network-accessible collection would be really neat. Today we have fast network connections and don\'t want to duplicate/update our music collection, or have different scores for the same song depending on the place where we are listening... Do you think there is a way to achieve this from today\'s amarok? Or do you guys plan to implement such a thing? How about a collection server? One would just give the server\'s IP and port to amarok, and amarok would be able to communicate with it in order to request songs and query/update the DB.

Looking forward for your pointers/comments,
Alex.
Michael

Re:Shared collection?

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:31 am
Hi,

I would appreciate such a feature very much. My network consists of three clients and a NAS (250 GB) on which my music stored. Every client has access to it. I am looking for a solution that every client can use the same database (stored on the NAS).

Michael