This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok needs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
amarok-user

amarok needs

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:59 am
so amarok crashed at about 8 this morning while i was sleeping in and i thought about the developer. it dumped garbage to the sound card which i send to my stereo, and really scared me. i\'m 27 and considered wether or not i was having a heart attack afterwards. :)
but inconsequential to this post.
i would like amarok to scan my collection of music, find new songs and add them to the playlist automatically, if that is enabled on that playlist.
what i am trying to get around is when i download about 40 songs or so and mv them to my collection folder, i then have to add them manually into the playlist, and then go to the bottom of the playlist and drag them near the top.
also, if amarok could update the # of times a song has been played more frequently, that would be helpful looking for the songs that make it crash consistently. usually it seems to be like 20 behind or something. but i haven\'t had a problem with this as much since i\'ve quit using gstreamer as an engine.
also, every player i have ever used has lacked options for manipulating the playlist effectively. like at the bottom of the playlist, i\'d like to see a right click menu option for sending it to the top, and then sort it from there. and also a lot of other playlist manipulation options.
i\'ve been meaning to write them down for the past few months, so that i can point out things that i would like a playlist manager to do.
i do believe that any music player that has more advanced playlist management will be more useful to users, save them time, and make the experience more enjoyable. i like xmms just fine, excepting the way i just couldn\'t deal with my music collection in it anymore due to the size of the collection, and the plugins for that never satisfied me. i\'ll make a list with more specific requests and things i think a playlist should do, in the hope of being useful, because i have been thinking about it for a long time and have considered it overlooked, or that no one was addressing that need. i\'ve been thinking specifically about it for about a year at least, intending to point these things out some time.
and thanks for the great music player. i see the progress made in the last 2 releases since i started using amarok, and am thankful that i had an alternative to xmms that wasn\'t console based (was considering console based because of my playlist issue). and i do believe amarok to be a lot better than xmms. and i even looked around for a while through players, looking for something that had better playlist management and chose amarok, and even turned a few friends onto it.
they love it. they dropped itunes and xmms.
again,
thanks for you work, i don\'t want to be scared to death by my music player ever again, and i\'d like to see better playlist manipulation. i\'ll start making a list of things i\'d like to see the playlist be able to do, hoping to be helpful.
you\'ve got my email address.
sincerely,
amarok-user