This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature request: Improved podcast support

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
*Legion*
Some basic podcast client functionality:

* OPML parsing (for importing a set of podcasts at a time, instead of the laborious task of adding one at a time - also, for remote synching with an online-hosted OPML file from places like Podnova)

* Some sort of podcast directory support

* Global genre override (re-write the ID3 tag of each incoming podcast to overwrite the genre section with a nice uniform genre - useful for use with mobile media players)

* Per-podcast overrides (a less common feature, but a nice one - allow overrides of other ID3 tag elements like Artist and Album, for use with podcasts in which the creator likes to fill their tags with inconsistant **** instead of useful information)

* Per-podcast item limits (it\'s great to at least have a global setting now though!)

* Description text display (for the text description fields in the RSS feeds)

These are kind of in order from most common to most obscure. OPML support is pretty much baseline podcast client functionality - only iTunes really lacks it, and it makes up for that by having feature #2 - the podcast directory. Copy-and-pasting an army of RSS URLs just sucks. Having at least one of these features would make things a lot nicer.

The other stuff is more obscure - but the kind of features that separates the really great podcast clients from the rest of the pack. Stuff for the backburner, at least.
*Legion*
Another one I forgot:

* Limit podcasts by age instead of total number of items (ie. keep all podcasts no older than X days/weeks/months).
gaminggeek
Podcast support does need improving ;)
Nils
The ability to import selected podcasts into your Collection would be nice too.
sheepdogj15
id3 tagging support for podcasts would be a great addition to amarok. i do hope this is added when 1.4 comes out.
RandyNose
Registered Member
*Legion* wrote:Some basic podcast client functionality:

* OPML parsing (for importing a set of podcasts at a time, instead of the laborious task of adding one at a time - also, for remote synching with an online-hosted OPML file from places like Podnova)

* Some sort of podcast directory support

DL and try this script.  It turned Amarok into what I wanted from a pod catching client.
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/sendtoa ... tent=30719

As I'm sorta new to Linux etc, it took me fidling around with it to figure out how to get it to work.  DL the tar sript file, run Amarok to find the script.  Once installed, run the script from within the script manager in Amarok on your saved opml file.  But it would be nice, if it was already part of the list or part of Amarok. BUT  how many times would one really need to run it??