This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wish list: ReplayGain, SoundCheck, Airport Express

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Nils Winkler
Registered Member
Hi,

first of all a big thanks for Amarok - it\'s one of the best audio players, maybe even the best. I\'ve been using the new 1.4 SVN version for a couple of weeks now and have been really happy with it. Especially the new Organize Collection option is awesome.

Some features I would really like to see added:
[ul]
[*]ReplayGain: Calculate ReplayGain values for songs or entire albums and read existing tags from songs
[*]SoundCheck: Use the ReplayGain tags to set the SoundCheck field on the iPod
[*]Airport Express / Airtunes: This would be awesome! There\'s already a very basic open source prototype at http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/, allowing to stream songs to an Airport Express. Integration with Amarok would be a killer feature
[/ul]

Keep up the good work!
Jocke "Firetech" Andersson
Registered Member
ReplayGain for amaroK is available with the ReplayGain script (found at http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=26073 ). I\'ts very complete, so I recommend you to try it out. It doesn\'t support writing tags or the iPod thingie, though.

Post edited by: Firetech, at: 2006/02/14 04:03

Don't care about my post count. I'm an IRC guy, occational hacker and part of roKymotion.

"I will run gentoo when pigs fly. By the time that happens, I'll have a sufficient computer."
Yannlieb
Registered Member
I would also vote for the airport express support ! Would be the killer feature
Miguel Angel
Hi all,
I have just released replaygain 0.8.0, which now can write and delete tags by track, album or your entire collection!
It is also internationalized, so translators are welcomed.
The last major feature is a new config field for files with no replaygain, so your ears doesn\'t blown if such a file is on your playlist.

About the ipod thingie, I don\'t have an iPod so I even doesn\'t know what it is, but if you provide a good description of what it is and how it does work, may be I could add it.
SamSam
replaygain is actually what I had been waiting for before leaving xmms, I found about your script yesterday and it does a hell of a good job.
A million thanks to you !

Miguel Angel wrote:
Hi all,
The last major feature is a new config field for files with no replaygain, so your ears doesn\'t blown if such a file is on your playlist.

The default gain setting is indeed required to make the whole thing really functional.
Among other minor issues with the last version, I noticed that feature was bugged, because the line"gain==gain" *does not* reject nan values. so I replaced it with "gain < 15" (or higher, but 15dB is already too big and should be rejected anyway) and voila.

The calibration values for the gst and xine engines got me wondering, you had to actually measure the output levels ?
I\'m thinking amarok could use some uniformization of its engines volumes levels, that\'d be better for everyone.
audio gain expressed in dB is both universal and perceptually natural, so I started patching mine so that the volume slider directly translates into decibels (100% => 0dB, down to -50dB for 0%), and I patched gstengine.cpp accordingly, and checked that the output levels do follow decibel increments now.
It then makes replaygain\'s job much simpler (and more precise too),
def vol2gain(vol):
# vol in [0, 100] => gain in [-50dB, 0dB]
return (vol - 100)/2

def gain2vol(gain):
# gain in [-50dB, 0dB] => vol in [0, 100]
return 100 + 2*gain

and it only takes a few lines of modifications per engine to accomodate the decibel-scaled volume range. now I\'m very happy with my replaygained-decibelized-amarok :)

well, anyways, I just meant to say thanks to you for that replaygain script !
dangle_wtf
nwinkler wrote:
[*]Airport Express / Airtunes: This would be awesome! There\'s already a very basic open source prototype at http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/, allowing to stream songs to an Airport Express. Integration with Amarok would be a killer feature

I noticed this HOWTO, posted only yesterday, to use airtunes with amarok. Perhaps you could give that a go?

Airtunes HOWTO

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Nils Winkler
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:
nwinkler wrote:

I noticed this HOWTO, posted only yesterday, to use airtunes with amarok. Perhaps you could give that a go?

Airtunes HOWTO

Guess who wrote that HOWTO :-)
dangle_wtf
D\'oh!
I have an excuse... I just woke up ;)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Nils Winkler
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:
D\'oh!
I have an excuse... I just woke up ;)

Cool, good morning then! I\'m going to bed right now...