This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 1.4b1 pros and cons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mebrelith

Amarok 1.4b1 pros and cons

Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:34 pm
Been a couple of days since I got my hands on the 1.4b1 source. Cooked it at home without much problems and have been testing via constant use. Hey, I listen music 24/7 -yup, even in my sleep, I have some really relaxing playlists that I play when I go to bed :P . Anyway, it looks pretty much stable and works great, so far no crashes or freezes. So lets get to it:

Pros:
- Stable, does not feel like a beta
- The lyrics scripts are great, now users will have more power when it comes to fetching tunes and barking out loud (thats me anyway)
- Xine engine keeps on rolling! I love my xine engine, I used to hate amarok till I discovered I could dump arts and use xine.
- The switchable wikipedia thingie is good for non english readers out there. Also offering the choice on artist album or song its great.
- Love being able to save lyrics on the track info thingie.

Cons:
- I dont know if its just me but the Lyrc script seems unable to deal with accents and other unusual chars. Haven\'t been able to test this on the other script cause it just wont work. Funny.
- The grade bars on the songs apparently died. Either with bars, stars or whatever your theme uses. I use danna.
- A lot of people is saying this: I miss the home tab. I miss the -by album statistics display in the home tab. Sigh...
- Apparently for some reason I dont understand the devices engine is picking a vfat device somewhere in my box. I have none, unless its my fat32 partition in my second hd where I keep my music.

All and all its great! Excellent job amarofolks!
juan_lutz

Re:Amarok 1.4b1 pros and cons

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:33 pm
I have tested the amamroK 1.4 beta 1 rpm packages from Guru for SuSE9.3 x86_64

Pros:
1.-Very stable
2.-Playing Albums

Cons.
1.- iPod: was not able to connect it :blink:

I downgrade the 1.40 beta version to the 1.3.8, where the iPod is regonized without any kind of additional tasks.

Best regards
Juan_Lutz
rokkford
Registered Member

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:30 am
mebrelith wrote:
- Apparently for some reason I dont understand the devices engine is picking a vfat device somewhere in my box. I have none, unless its my fat32 partition in my second hd where I keep my music.

All and all its great! Excellent job amarofolks!

i get some strange notification on each start

amaroK has detected new portable media devices. Press the "Manage Plugins..." suboption of the Configure button in the Media Browser tab to select plugins for these devices.

but i don\'t have any portable media device connected :dry:

Post edited by: rokkford, at: 2006/02/20 20:31

marcel
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:47 am
I have the same thing. But hey, it\'s svn so this might be fixed soon.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:42 pm
mebrelith wrote:
- The grade bars on the songs apparently died. Either with bars, stars or whatever your theme uses. I use danna.

The bars didn\'t die. They show the rating of the songs. Well, I don\'t like to rate my music, so they are just blank - pretty annoying. But hey - the bars are back, and they show the score, in the SVN version I\'m using right now. Hope they keep it that way ;)

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
nick

Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:44 pm
I love all the new changes except one. Why did they get rid of the dynamic play mode? I liked the idea of picking a handful of tracks, and then depending on the playmode to keep me supplied with good music the rest of the night.

Also, in reply to the first poster on here who described the stars as dead, I had the same problem until I realized that you the listener are now in control of that rating.Just add a colum wide enough for 5 stars in the playlist window and starting rating them!:)

Also, I am having trouble with my lyrics scripts. I don\'t think they compiled right, so it is probably my fault.

PLEASE bring back the dynamic playmode

Nick
Jason Holloway
Registered Member

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:06 pm
They have taken away the button for mode, and still have the playlist.. I was confused by this too. However, if you go to customize your \'shortcuts\' you see that dynamic mode is listed.. I have it WIN-D and it will automatically put it into dynamic mode without having to \'load the playlist\' ..
rshd301

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:18 pm
I think 1.4 is extremely stable and well featured. However, one thing that narks me a bit is in dynamic mode, I have a playlist which randomly selects from my blues and reggae collections. Thing is, quite often the randomisation is a bit off and I have the same track selected in rather quick succession. There are sufficient blues and reggae tracks to keep it going without a repeat for hours.

Keep up the good work amarokers
rshd301

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:18 pm
I think 1.4 is extremely stable and well featured. However, one thing that narks me a bit is in dynamic mode, I have a playlist which randomly selects from my blues and reggae collections. Thing is, quite often the randomisation is a bit off and I have the same track selected in rather quick succession. There are sufficient blues and reggae tracks to keep it going without a repeat for hours.

Keep up the good work amarokers
Hans
Administrator
OS

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:50 pm
Heh. I miss the Dynamic Mode too, and at first I was confused. But oh well, I can understand that the dynamic mode could be confusing to those who use amaroK for their first time too.
Now you can either add a button to the toolbar, or assign a key to enable/disable dynamic \"mode\". If you\'re too lazy too browse to Playlists and select a Dyanmic Playlist, that is.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts