This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Added Multimedia Keyboard Support

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
samuzsnake
I dont know if there is a topic on this already, I have searched and found nothing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have a Dell Multimedia Keyboard that came with my parents dell keyboard and I like it very much. I was wondering if anyone could help me with gettign the mute, stop, next, previous, play/pause, multimedia player focus, and volume knob to work. If it is not supported, I request that it may have more support in the next version. Another thing that would be nice, but would require some work on gaim too is to have a plugin for both that can allow \"Currently Playing Song\" to appear as a personal message when connected to the MSN protocol. Other than that, I came from both Apple and Windows, and am very impressed with amaroK and linux itself. I run Fedora Core 4 x86_64 and I find that it excels over Windows XP Pro and has about the same features and functionality as Mac, although someone with little linux experience as me, It does get tough to use. I have managed to install some Games from my windows computer such as BF 2 and GTA: San Andreas, and have been able to play online in them. I also have managed to install my nVidia driver, and it works nicely. Thanks very much amaroK community for the fine piece of software you have put together.

Nick
Hans
Administrator
OS
I don\'t think it should be supported by amaroK - yes, I\'m talking about your keyboard. If it worked in KDE, then it should work in amaroK too... right? (But I\'m not sure if it\'s KDE\'s \"job\" to support it either.)

If I\'m wrong, correct me.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
tante
Registered Member
Amarok already supports your keys through the DCOP interface.
The DCOP Interface can be called like this:
[code:1]dcop amarok PAR1 PAR2[/code:1]

For example:
[code:1]dcop amarok player mute[/code:1]
mutes amarok.

Now you just have to get X to accept and use your Extra keys. A good howto can be found here.
Basically you find out the keycodes and add them to .Xmodmap with the corresponding Signal name. Then you use xbindkeys to bind those signals to a certain command.

In the next paragraph my .Xmodmap and .xbindkeyrc as reference (you have to modify the keycodes in the .Xmodmap file of course according to the tutorial).

.Xmodmap
[code:1]
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
keycode 234 = XF86Back
keycode 130 = XF86HomePage
keycode 236 = XF86Mail
keycode 233 = XF86Forward
keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay