This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problems insalling amarok on Suse 10

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Alexander J. Pirchl

Problems insalling amarok on Suse 10

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:06 am
Hi!

I have big problems installing a newer version of amarok on Suse 10. The one that installled with the system has some bugs in it (foremost no lyrics download) so I would like very much to install a newer version. I donwloaded it directly from the SUSE site. Unfortunatly when I try to install it via YAST I run into about into a half million unfulfilled dependencies. Most are about newer versions of helix etc.. which I could also download via the SUSE site. Unforunately it also requires Kdelibs 3.5.1 which tough I can download it too has 64 ! other programms depending on the older version of Kdelibs which I would have to uninstall :-(

Is there any way to resolve this problems?

Also is there any way to get rid of the Ipod tab in amarok? I don\'t want to offend anyone, but I hate apple and Ipods nearly as much as bill gates............

Thanks for any help,

Alex
Juan Ehrenhaus
Registered Member
Hi,
i have moved recently from SuSE9.3 x86_64 to SuSE10 x86 (over the same PC with AMD64).
1.- The installation was running without any big problem.
2.- After YaST online updates (kernel, Browsers, ec..) and others downloads (xine from packman and other multimedia files) I have upgraded KDE to the 3.5.1 version from one of the many /KDE/supplementary/update_for_suse10/yast-source/ folders available.
3.-After the above I have installed the amaroK rpm files from Guru without any problem (amarok 1.4 beta1).
4.- I am an iPod user and I appreciate this feature from amaroK much better than other good things that amaroK offers. If you will not use iPod is your beer ;) but let the others play with it :P

Try in this way your amaroK in your SuSE10 and have fun.
At the moment amaroK rocks ! here. :lol:
Best regards
juan_lutz

Post edited by: juan_lutz, at: 2006/03/06 03:19

Post edited by: juan_lutz, at: 2006/03/06 03:21
Jan
I have to agree - I am no Linux hotshot - I am in the IT industry working with big Unix every day, but I just gave up installing amarok. For me, this is the classical Linux sickness that will stop the platform ever making real headway. It is too complicated to install a trivial program, and after installing libvisual, taglib, gstreamer, gstreamer-plugins and gstreamer-plugins-default I then came up with an unresolved link to libpq.so. That\'s where it got ridiculous and I just gave up, as usual.

I DONT want to install the whole of the Postgress server package on my machine just so I can store a couple of tags. I carry enough **** of my own around on this laptop, without adding some outdated, half-cock SQL server so that amarok can remember a bit of stuff it could write in some text files. I\'m not going to move to suse 10 at the moment, I have too much time invested in my old 9.2 build.

Great work, it\'s a lovely package and looks really good, but you need to draw some lines where your software ends and the rest of the world starts. Amarok team, thanks, but no thanks.
tlaloc
@Jan, thats mostly a packaging problem regarding your distribution, amarok can be stripped down to have very small dependencies, that has improved a lot in the last versions. Someone just has to make a binary with small dependencies for others that don\'t know how to do it for your distribution, maybe you can address some packager in a forum somewhere. Postgres is certainly not needed, sqlite is enough for a base install.
Bye, Val.

See, all these are toggable dependencies

media-sound/amarok-1.4_beta2 USE=\"flac kde musicbrainz mysql opengl visualization xine xinerama -aac -a kode -arts -debug -exscalibar -gstreamer -ipod -noamazon -po stgres -real -xmms\"