This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

once again suse 10 and amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mamonetti

once again suse 10 and amarok

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:14 pm
Hi

Last day i found an interesting program for kde (well, something related to PIC development) and when trying to compile i received next error message at link time:
/opt/kde3/lib/libkhtml.so: undefined reference to `__cxa_get_exception_ptr@CXXABI_1.3.1\'

I was using opensuse 10.0, with kde 3.4.3, and gcc 4.0.2/3.4.4 but i wasn\'t able to solve the problem

taking a look at the message i decided to update kde to 3.5.1, and also installed locally gcc 4.0.3 and 4.1.0

currently i\'m receiving the same compiling error, and it also appears when trying to compile last version of amarok. i was using 1.3.5 with a few random crashes but nothing important, and when updating kde songs (mp3) stopped to play (i have installed mad, kdemultimedia3-mad, arts, kdemultimedia3-arts-mad..)

so i tried to use an rpm package, and finally downloaded 1.4 beta1 from guru\'s rpm site, but even installing amarok + amarok-arts i can\'t get my mp3 files being played..

is there any way to solve this compiling/linking problem? at other forums someone told me about knowing the concrete version of the compiler used when packaging kde, maybe buggy or maybe neccesary for linking programs to my current kde packages.. i don\'t know if this is the way to solve it, and i have no way to get the compiler version used for compiling my current kde packages (downloaded from www.kde.org)

if not, is there any way to play mp3 at opensuse 10.0 with kde 3.5.1 and amarok? i\'m talking about using rpm files.. i had the same problem when installing opensuse for the first time, but were solved after installing mad/kdemultimedia-mad/kdemultimedia-arts-mad, but this time this doesn\'t seem to work..

help would be appreciated (maybe the best would be changing to other distro..)

thx in advance

regards :D
Juan Ehrenhaus
Registered Member

Re:once again suse 10 and amarok

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:21 pm
A short story:
Yes, the only argument to update my Distro is amaroK.
Since I\'ve got some problems compiling amaroK over SuSE9.2, I decided to move me to SuSE 9.3 and currently to Suse10 (OK it is not the opensuse version but a special one offered by the magazine PC-Welt).

I am using the guru rpm files available and all the necessary sound libraries and files offered by packman in Linux2 Linux, keeping in my system all the multimedia issues that I need properly and without any compilation tasks that any way, and in some cases, are to complicated for me. By the way my thanks to Guru and Packman.

So, I will not make here any publicity how easy is to install SuSe keeping all the data using a secure partition and how to mount it after the installation to enjoy the music with amaroK, but so is how I am doing a perfect test and update of one of my preferred application in Linux, all these even under KDE3.5.1. I am using SuSE since the version 8.2 and I do not have any argument to change the Distro at the moment.

Currently works amaroK (1.4 beta 2, installed with the rpm files from Guru and using xine 1.1.1 from packman and all “mad” libraries required for playing mp3 ) without any experienced problems and I am happy to say that the functionality to handle the mp3 files for instance with my iPod utilizing the libgpod file, is much better than the one in the old Versions of amaroK. Thanks also for the amaroK team and please keep the good job.

By :laugh:
Juan_Lutz

Post edited by: juan_lutz, at: 2006/03/11 17:26
Mamonetti

Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:17 pm
well, i found the solution

the problem seems to be related to a broken compiler (that is, gcc-4.0.2_20050901-3 installed by default at opensuse 10.0)
even if i tried to use the locally installed compiler (4.0.3) when running ldconfig the file libstdc++.so.6 was found firstly at /usr/lib, so the broken one was chosen

a \"strong\" way to solve the problem is to install a new version of gcc (maybe 4.0.3) at the default suse location, that is, /usr
so by typing ./configure --prefix=/usr should be far enough when going to install the new version

\"maybe\" the problem should dissapear by removing the link at /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 and creating a new one pointing to the local file (for example /usr/local/gcc403/lib/libstd++.so.6).. well, i haven\'t tried this way

regards
jurrie

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:41 pm
I don\'t know if the devs ever looked into this report, but I cannot compile a 1.4 amaroK due to this libkhtml bug :/
Updating my kde parts to 3.5.2 did not solve it.

I\'d say the problem is GCC 4. I ran 1.4b2 fine when my system was compiled with 3.4.3 (Gentoo, x86_64). But I did a system wide recompile to gcc 4.1.0 and now I cannot compile 1.4b2 anymore.. 1.3.8 does compile though.

I\'ll try 1.3.9 now, I just noticed it in portage.
jurrie

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:33 pm
Fixed. In case some other gentoo user comes across this, after a gcc upgrade (I went from 3.4.3 to 4.1.0):

do a [code:1]gcc-config -l[/code:1] to list your installed gcc versions, and check what the last one was you used (3.4.3 for me).

Then run [code:1]fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.3[/code:1] (replace 3.4.3 with your version), and it should get rid of the __cxa_get_exception_ptr@CXXABI_1.3.1 compile error.

Should also work for other KDE apps.