This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Video support in amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tuxist

Video support in amarok

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:38 am
I have many musik videos.
My musik collection is not sort in folders only by the meta tags.
When search a musik video I must spend many time. ;)
patpi

Re:Video support in amarok

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:05 pm
No No No... I don\'t like this idea

music player for music
video player for video
burning prog for burning cds
etc
Gleb Litvjak
Registered Member

Re:Video support in amarok

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:34 pm
Actually this has been discussed over and over again. The official reply by the devs is \"No\".

I\'m not a dev, but as I remember, the reasons were:
[ul]
[*]Tags. amaroK is a collection-driven player. Most popular video containers (avi, mpeg, wmv) do not support tags such as \"Artist\" or \"Title\", so the videos couldn\'t be added to the collection.
[*]Unix-way. It says: use one app for one set of (related) tasks. Playing audio and video are different tasks, and require different apps.
[*]Work. Adding video support will require more work than it seems. Yeah, xine and gstreamer can both play video fine. But adding video support to amaroK would require much work. Even the redesign of the UI would take weeks. Moreover, video player requires functions that an audioplayer doesn\'t need (for example, gamma correction or changing A/V offset). Coding these will take time and skill (maybe it will require to join efforts with the devs of some video player). In the end there will likely be an audio player with some very rudimentary video support, with much more bugs (each new feature almost always adds bugs, so that\'s why not all feature requests are welcomed by the devs) and a longer release cycle.
[/ul]

Post edited by: blaster999, at: 2006/03/31 09:37