This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

more options on rescanning collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
imported-moebius
Registered Member
I have all my music on an external USB hard drive and as a result it changes mount points just about every time I start up because I\'ll have different devices plugged in, etc. Sometimes its /media/sda1 sometimes /media/sdb1, etc. I suppose that is a problem inherent with linux unless you create udev rulesets, but most distros don\'t use udev by default and from a uability standpoint, we can expect all new users to do that. So amarok can at least make it easier.

When I have the music hard drive off and amarok rescans my collection it just removes everything outright. OK, fair enough, but is there any way we can make it set those songs aside instead of completely removing them? So when I remount my drive it doesn\'t have to go through the whole 30 minute process of rebuilding a 100GB collection? And likewise, if my music drive changes mount points can we make amarok smart enough to see that it just has a new mount point and just rechecks the old collection to see if anything has changes like a normal update?

Just sharing my experience.
dangle_wtf
probably your best option at the moment is to disable \'watch folders for changes\' on the collections tab in amaroK settings.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
this posting is a little bit out of date, but who cares. Assuming the partition type is vfat, label it (mkdosfs -n JUKEBOX) f. e., so it should be mounted under /media/JUKEBOX. To be sure, you can aditionally add an entry to fstab.

Greetings

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.