This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New feature idea: Adding keywords to tracks

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Evan
Hi,

I\'ve been thinking the last couple of days an idea for classifying your music collection in a tagged like fashion. Now when I use the word tag here, think del.icio.us tagged bookmarks, not MP3/ID3 data tags.

The idea being you could tag a file with one or more keywords such as \"instrumental\" or \"tv_jingle\" and then be able to use that in your collection view to filter on.

e.g. \"instrumental & !tv_jingle\" would show you all items tagged with the \"instrumental\" keyword, but exclude those with the \"tv_jingle\" keyword.

And it doesn\'t have to be genre-like keywords, it can be whatever you like.

Got tracks that you keep for the sake of completeness of an album, but you never want to listen too? Tag them with the keyword \"annoying\" and set a permanent filter in your amarok configuration to permanently ignore them, so you never see them again (at least until you change your configuration again).

What do you think?

E.
Gleb Litvjak
Registered Member
Well, you actually CAN do it right now

Make use of the rarely used field called Comment. Write the keywords separated by spaces (like \"instrumental calm relaxing\") in the comment field. Then create some smart playlists. Following your example, you\'ll have to add two filters:
[ol]
[*]Comment contains \"instrumental\"
[*]Comment does not contain \"tv_jingle\"
[/ol]

This smart playlists will load all tracks which are tagged instrumental while not tagged tv_jingle.

Smart playlist support is a powerful featue of amaroK which is often overlooked
willy.picard
Registered Member
Hi,

I agree with Evan that this functionality would highly improve the usability of Amarok (which is already exceptionaly high).

Even if such a functionality may be acheive with the help of comments (as suggested by Gleb Litvjak), it would be a major improvement to Amarok if some support could be included directly in amarok. Moreover, smart lists are just one possible application of use of "del.icio.us"-like tags: other applications could be for instance file search or even collection browsing.

I really thing that this idea is worth a good discussion for the next version of Amarok.

Regards
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
What I'd really like to see, is Amarok sync your collection with your Last.fm account's tags.  Then you could use Dynamic playlists at the search field to find songs based on Last.fm tags!!
imported-randomtimes
Registered Member
Aaron Cooper wrote:What I'd really like to see, is Amarok sync your collection with your Last.fm account's tags.  Then you could use Dynamic playlists at the search field to find songs based on Last.fm tags!!

I agree. Having the option to tie into last.fm a little more closely, with regard to tags etc would be a nice feature. Being able to tag tracks for last.fm and also fetch existing tags.
imported-patpi
Registered Member
Aaron Cooper wrote:What I'd really like to see, is Amarok sync your collection with your Last.fm account's tags.  Then you could use Dynamic playlists at the search field to find songs based on Last.fm tags!!

+1 vote for it :)
willy.picard
Registered Member
Hi,

I like the idea of a sync with last.fm tags. However, I am not sure that tags should be sync only with last.fm. It seems to me that the sync with last.fm should be an option (not everybody is using last.fm). The tag mechanism we are talking about here is a more general idea. Therefore I would rather suggest the following features:
- possibility to tag locally (that is without last.fm) all entities in the collection: both files and albums
- possibility to browse the collection according to tags
- integration with smart lists (partialy already done)
- sync with last.fm to discover similar items, with same tags

I am convinced that this would lead to a better usability of amarok (with and without last.fm connection).
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
willy.picard wrote:Hi,

I like the idea of a sync with last.fm tags. However, I am not sure that tags should be sync only with last.fm. It seems to me that the sync with last.fm should be an option (not everybody is using last.fm). The tag mechanism we are talking about here is a more general idea. Therefore I would rather suggest the following features:
- possibility to tag locally (that is without last.fm) all entities in the collection: both files and albums
- possibility to browse the collection according to tags
- integration with smart lists (partialy already done)
- sync with last.fm to discover similar items, with same tags

I am convinced that this would lead to a better usability of amarok (with and without last.fm connection).

You've hit the nail on the head.  It would have to be an option we could turn on/off like the option to submit played tracks to Last.fm.  This time it would be "Submit/Receive tags to/from Last.fm"