This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature request: Handy playlist

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Woytaz

Feature request: Handy playlist

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:34 pm
Call it whatever you wish: secondary, personal, handy...
The idea is simple, yet generated by real , everyday need. There are moments, when you listen to the current, for example rock, playlist, heavily stuffed with great choice of music you gathered from around your hard disks...
Then, you want to change the climate. You need something refreshing, fast and lively. Or on the opposite - you have to study a bit, and a choice of Bach and Wagner would do... Or yet another situation, you just like ten best songs of the whole playlist - and you want to loop them in repeating.
Later, you just came back to previously set up \'main\' playlist.
Traditionally thinking, in terms of working, there\'s no obstacle in listening what you want as in the abovementioned examples. However, in terms of usability and simplicity there is still a hole in the polished and shiny interface of amaroK.
And this is where the secondary playlist comes into action :side:. The 2\'nd list is just next to the main playlist, so that full advantage of drag\'n\'drop can be taken. As a result of being fully-functional playlist, looping should be maintained when switched to this playlist.
How I see this feature - is an another panel such as \"Context\", \"Files\", \"Collection\", etc.

Comments are welcome,
Regards,
Wojtek
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re:Feature request: Handy playlist

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:44 pm
Hrm, a second playlist next to the main playlist?
No thanks. For that purpose, I rather see tabbed playlists.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
verus

Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:53 am
Yes Tabbed Playlists!!!

Lots of times I have main playlist full of stuff I want, and then I also want to play around with smart playlists just to see what stuff \"Contains blah and blah\" but I cant see it! Because it would overwrite my main playlist.
dangle_wtf

Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:23 am
you know you can drag and drop onto any existing saved playlists on the playlists tab? you can drag from the collection tab or the current playlist.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Enr1X

Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:30 am
A nice feature. I prefer tabbed playlists. However, as dangle has just said. its already possible to have multiple playlists and just one active, by saving a playlist you like, editing it via drag and drop even if its not the active playlist or whatever you like. Personally, i dont think this feature should have too much priority.... Good suggestion, though.

--Enr1X;)
Woytaz

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:29 pm
I do not persist in the look I presented. The key is the usability, not interface.
If \'tabbed playlist\' match the following requirements, I\'m with it!
1. Character of the playlists must be temorary. Not saving to constantly growing number of playlists. The idea is just as a regular playlist, \'for now, then forget\'.
2. Full drag\'n\'drop (with multiple choice possible of course).
If you see a better way to implement it, without creating another \'panel\', including the abovementioned requirements, then I say: OK. :) BTW, are there any other suggestions on the look of what we\'re talking about, except tabs?
Dovydas

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:36 pm
It is fantastic idea to have tabbed playlists. I often create \'\'temporary\" playlists, which I do not want to save. Tabbed playlists are just what I wanted.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:43 pm
The queue playlist already meets most of your needs.

Amarok Developer
imported-patpi
Registered Member

Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:03 pm
[img size=150]http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/5060/mockupamaroktabs5gs.jpg[/img]
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/5060 ... abs5gs.jpg

What do you think about this? :D

Of course it is fast mockup... Many things to clarify..

But If U like this idea be Woytaz and Mogger say it!! I want this tabbed playlists becouse queue playlist is not enough.

Imagine it:
- fast \"temporary\" playlist for sister/brother without interrupting yours pls
- mp3s to check and reorganize
- etc....

I love this idea!!

Post edited by: patpi, at: 2006/04/08 17:04
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:02 pm
If you want tabbed playlists you might want to read here and here.

Also, I mentioned the tabbed playlists, but personlly I don\'t need it.

Post edited by: Mogger, at: 2006/04/08 18:03

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts