This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to reduce amarok memroy usage?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

How to reduce amarok memroy usage?

Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:32 pm
Hi all,

while playing amarok, I notice that it gets approx. 40 MB of vmrss memory. When I start play, amarok creates a new process which takes approx. 10 MB. Is there something I can do to have that first process killed and keep amarok playing with just the second process?

I tried to make amarok uses postgresql for collection tracking, but this make things worst. As amarok keep using 40 mb and two postgresql connections, each one taking 7MB. :(

I\'m using amarok 1.4beta2. On Gnu/Linux Gentoo KDE 3.5.0

Thanks in advance.
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
IMO, 4 MB or 10 MB doesn\'t make much difference in the world of 1GB sticks of RAM. 40 MB, even 50 MB, of memory usage is still much less than iTunes which can get up to >100MB at times.
Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Yeah. It is true. The problem is that my notebook has 512 of ram and I\'m already with a large working set.

Also, I think 40 MB + 10 MB when playing too much for a player.

I\'d like Amarok could free the memory when I enable the mini player. Because sometimes I just want to play my music, I don\'t want to search lyrics, see full abums information etc.
feld
compile from scratch and research LDFLAGS. Using LDFLAGS you can strim amaroK down so it doesnt load libraries it _REALLY_ doesn\'t need. I can\'t guarantee it won\'t break anything for you, but you\'re very likely to be successful and cut down memory consumption 10-15MB or more if you\'re really lucky.

-Feld