This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Second player engine

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
djfritzi
I have a feature request: I think it would be great to have a second player engine (xine) bind to another soundcard (or another channel of a multi-channel soundcard) for headphones to hear into the Album songs. So it would be possible to create a perfect playlist while the \"first player engine\" plays it. It would be a great feature for small partys to hear great music. This feature would make amarok perfect!!!
Feld
I\'m pretty sure you can do this with alsa tweaks. Have it play out of both cards at once, one in headphones, the other in whatever setup you want.

go check the docs.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Feld wrote:
I\'m pretty sure you can do this with alsa tweaks. Have it play out of both cards at once, one in headphones, the other in whatever setup you want.

go check the docs.
No, djfritzi is asking for a DJ-like feature of previewing music while other music is playing.

You could do this with an amaroK script that added a menu item to the playlist context menu which used a seperate program set to use a different sound card (something like mpg123) to play files.

Actually this is the exact use case we envisioned when we added the ability for scripts to add context menu items, but no one has actually coded it yet (it wouldn\'t be difficult).

Amarok Developer
djfritzi
yes eean! That´s that what i mean. mpg123 & ogg123 would be great! Maybe someone can code such a script! I would be glad!!!

Greetings from Austria, DjFritzi
Djfritzi
Registered Member
djfritzi wrote:I have a feature request: I think it would be great to have a second player engine (xine) bind to another soundcard (or another channel of a multi-channel soundcard) for headphones to hear into the Album songs. So it would be possible to create a perfect playlist while the "first player engine" plays it. It would be a great feature for small partys to hear great music. This feature would make amarok perfect!!!

I have coded a script named "headphone". It can play selected songs in the playlist with the xmms - player.
You can donwload it under: http://www.kde-apps.org/
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Wouldn't it make heaps more sense to use mplayer as second output? No need to fire up a complete GUI.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer