This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

volume independance

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ben

volume independance

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:15 am
I\'m wanting to play a movie in the background with the volume muted, while listening to amarok. Only trouble is that when I mute the volume in mplayer, it mutes the volume in amarok. And the volume control in mplayer seems to scale the volume of amarok. i.e. if mplayers volume is low, all of amaroks sound is comparatively quiet.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this? I\'ve searched the forums, but the only thing I could find was a post suggesting I check or uncheck the use hardware volume control checkbox in the settings. However, I note that with amarok 1.3 (i\'m using 1.3.1) that particular checkbox has been removed.

I\'m running ubuntu(breezy), amarok 1.3.1, using the gstreamer engine(though the same thing seems to happen when I use the arts engine). The output plugin is set to artsdink, though it didn\'t seem to matter which output plugin I used (though one gave me choppy sound and alsadink didn\'t play at all).

If anyone has any suggestions I\'d be grateful.

cheers.
ben.
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Re:volume independance

Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:57 am
Quick fix: Set the audio out for mplayer to null. Thus, it will never output any sound (thus is muted).
dangle_wtf

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:28 am
Also, seriously consider upgrading amarok, to at least 1.3.9

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
feld

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:11 pm
have Mplayer use a software mixer and Alsa. That will solve the problem.

-Feld
ben

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:31 pm
that seems to have done the trick quite nicely thakn you.