This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Replaygain-script

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tim

Replaygain-script

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:40 pm
I consider Replaygain to be an essential feature, so I am going to use the Replaygain-script for amaroK. I see that it uses mp3gain for mp3-files. I have been using mp3gain earlier (on Windows), and as far as i can remember, it actually changes the volume of the mp3-files. I don\'t want that, I don\'t want any changes to be done to the audio, only metadata. So how does this work with the Replaygain-script for amaroK? Is the audio-data modified?
Phil Kulak

Re:Replaygain-script

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:28 pm
\"This analysis will not change your files, it will store the information in tags.
You can analyze a file, album or your whole collection from the playlist\'s context menu.
Once a file is tagged with replaygain data, the script will be able to read such tags and it will update the volume as needed.\"

I still think it\'s better to just have the files adjusted. You can always undo it later ([mp3|aac]gain -u) or change modes (album or track). Plus, that way when you copy the files to you portable player the volumes aren\'t all over the place again.
Tim

Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:31 pm
Yes, I\'ve read that, but the script uses mp3tag. And as far as I know, mp3tag actually modifies the audio-data in the files. So I guess my question is: How do you use mp3gain without modifying the audio-data (just storing metadata)?
Phil Kulak

Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:47 pm
I think that\'s what it does by default. If you just give mp3gain inputs and no parameters, it just writes the calculated values to the tag.