This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature: Group Albums with Multiple Discs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
Nothing looks worse than having two albums with the same cover show up in your context panel because they are (disc 1) and (disc 2) of a single release.  To clean this up, it would be great to group (disc 1)/(disc 2) albums into one album in the context menu, with seb titles over the tracks.

Picture it like this:

Garage Inc.
(disc 1: New Recordings '98)
1. Free Speech for the Dumb
2. ...
3. ...
11. The More I See

(disc 2)
1. Helpless
2. ...
3. ...
16. Too Late Too Late

Would definitely be a great feature guys!
Peter Ndikuwera
This already exists!

Your albums have to be titled the same, e.g. "My Mega-Album", then you set the "Disc Number" property. Then they'll show up nicely separated in the context browser.

Only disadvantage is you can't have an album where each disc is titled differently.

So if you have "My Mega-Album" and Disc 1 is "The Oldies", and Disc 2 is "The New Stuff", you'll have to lose those sub-titles.
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
Peter Ndikuwera wrote:This already exists!

Your albums have to be titled the same, e.g. "My Mega-Album", then you set the "Disc Number" property. Then they'll show up nicely separated in the context browser.

Only disadvantage is you can't have an album where each disc is titled differently.

So if you have "My Mega-Album" and Disc 1 is "The Oldies", and Disc 2 is "The New Stuff", you'll have to lose those sub-titles.

Oh, awesome!  Except that doesn't work very well with MusicBrainz... :P  They list albums with multiple discs as separate albums.  I guess the change should be made on their end so that the tagger utilizes the Disc Number field.

Another question I have somewhat related to displaying albums in the Context panel, has to do with different artists with similar album titles.  I have many greatest hits compilations that are titles "Greatest Hits".  This creates a big mess when there are eight artists with the same album title.  Is there any way Amarok can differentiate between "Various Artist Compilations" and "Single Artist Compilations"?  I believe this is set in MusicBrainz tags.