This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok deleted my music, you call that intuitive?!?!?!?!?!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thenktor
I don't want a "Delete Button" in my music player because it's dangerous for my collection. Especially when anyone else is using the player. Most people don't even think that they can destroy something with a player software.
dangle_wtf
a) it's not a delete "button" - you have to make an effort to right-click and select "delete" then confirm that you actually DO wish to delete.

b) amaroK is not just a music player, it is also a collection manager. management implies ability to add AND delete.

c) if you allow others unfettered access to your computer without giving them their own account with appropriate permissions, then you deserve anything you get.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
stingo
You are pretty rude ma but I understand and totally agree with you. I once (was a little drunk and distracted by people around) deleted files instead of clearing playlist, because these options are when you click the right button are at the same place. THIS IS A USABILITY MISTAKE AMAROK DEVELOPERS!!!  File managers should handle files not organizers or at least put it somwhere else!  This issue is still there in 1.4 beta, shame...
stingo
Make a voting somwhere and see that people wish you to remove this option from the context menu!  You do not actually delete music files often,  but you have to remove a file from a playlist anytime you use amarok. Clearly a misclick can be costly! I simply avoid using this context menu recently.  Please, fix it.
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
Delete needs to be an option, maybe not in the context menu though.  it could always be moved to a menu (which can be hidden with Ctrl-M).  IMO, clearing a playlist is much easier with the "Delete" key on my keyboard... it takes only one click and doesn't erase my music from my harddrive.
thenktor
dangle_wtf wrote:c) if you allow others unfettered access to your computer without giving them their own account with appropriate permissions, then you deserve anything you get.

Good idea. I'll give every friend an own account for the case he visits me at home  :rolleyes:
thenktor
stingo wrote:Make a voting somwhere and see that people wish you to remove this option from the context menu!  You do not actually delete music files often,  but you have to remove a file from a playlist anytime you use amarok. Clearly a misclick can be costly! I simply avoid using this context menu recently.  Please, fix it.

As mentioned before: You can vote here http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=127006

A Moderator marked it as duplicate to another wish/bug but I don't think they are the same.
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
thenktor wrote:
dangle_wtf wrote:c) if you allow others unfettered access to your computer without giving them their own account with appropriate permissions, then you deserve anything you get.

Good idea. I'll give every friend an own account for the case he visits me at home  :rolleyes:

... or setup a guest account! (??)
Napalm Llama
Registered Member
Hmm... maybe the Delete option should move the file to KDE's Trash directory, rather than deleting it outright?  Then if the user changes their mind, it's not too late.

Am I right? :biggrin:

[size=0]Gentoo Linux 2005.0 w/ kernel 2.6.16; amd64; nForce3; sata; GeForce 6600gt agp[/size]
"The sauce is strong in you, young Piewalker!"
Registered Linux User #381314
dangle_wtf
well... as long as you've got space on whatever partition stores your Trash for GB worth of music - worst case scenario, and all that ;)

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Napalm Llama
Registered Member
OK, have a virtual "amaroK Trash" - maybe a file could be marked in the database as "Trash" without actually moving it anywhere - options on the playlist are "Remove" and "Trash", and there's a Trash section next to Various and Unkown at the top of the Collection list.  Or maybe Trash has its very own tab at the side.

However it's implemented, the concept of a "buffer" between pressing Delete and actually being deleted is an old one, and it's survived this long with good reason.  amaroK should have one.

[size=0]Gentoo Linux 2005.0 w/ kernel 2.6.16; amd64; nForce3; sata; GeForce 6600gt agp[/size]
thenktor
@ Aaron Cooper:
A Guest account isn't a solution. Why should I log out if someone visits me? A normal scenario would be like this: You listen to music and someone visits you. You and your friend are hanging around and contiue to listen music. Then your friend wants to change something in the playlist, should be no big deal. He wants to remove something from the playlist but accidently he deltes the file from the harddisk.  :redface:

@ Napalm Llama
Good idea. I think amroK should have an own trash. In konqueror I have disabled the trash.
lobo_cobra
The possility to remove a **** up music file right away in amarok I found very usefull. It's much easier to clean up ur music files... and renember... always have a copy of anything on your comp....

I learned that long ago when I lost 5 month of work ... ;-)
Napalm Llama
Registered Member
The way I use the Trash feature is as a backup in case of accidental deletion - if I press Delete by accident, the error's recoverable.  Then I check through and empty it when I get round to it.

So in amaroK, you would be marking your file for removal right away - it'd disappear from your collection - but in case your mouse slipped, it isn't the end of the world.

dangle_wtf
Allowing amaroK to use whatever setting KDE has specified for file deletion would be most easily done, I would think.
That way, if you disable trash collection in KDE, don't whine about amaroK not sending to trash rather than deleting directly ;)