This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok deleted my music, you call that intuitive?!?!?!?!?!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Napalm Llama
Registered Member
But you can be sure people would whine.  If someone changes their settings in KDE, they might not expect the Delete button in amaroK to change its behaviour.  I think amaroK's different enough from Konqueror for it to be more intuitive to give it its own Trash settings.

[size=0]Gentoo Linux 2005.0 w/ kernel 2.6.16; amd64; nForce3; sata; GeForce 6600gt agp[/size]
"The sauce is strong in you, young Piewalker!"
Registered Linux User #381314
azwr
Registered Member
I don't think the OP made himself terribly clear ... it isn't that he was confusing the difference between "remove from playlist" and "delete file", it was that when you choose to delete a playlist from the "Playlists" section, it deletes all of the songs that this playlist points to.  The last post on this page makes it a little more clear:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-378955-highlight-amarok+delete+playlist.html
There are lots of times that I want to remove a specific playlist file itself and not each and every song it points to.

Can anyone confirm that this was a bug that got fixed?  I don't feel like making dummy playlists and copying files so that if they get deleted it won't damage my real music.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
In 1.4.1 (to be released) we've changed the behaviour slightly: now the data is moved to Trash by default.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
hds
Registered Member
Mark Kretschmann wrote:In 1.4.1 (to be released) we've changed the behaviour slightly: now the data is moved to Trash by default.

and what is the behaviour, if the trash doesn't contain enough space?
a) i will get a warning like "action aborted - not enough space left on device"?
b) anything that doesnt fit in the trash will be deleted silently?

oh, just btw.. is it even possible to move data from an NFS to the trash?

Last edited by hds on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hydrogen
Registered Member
It'll delete your entire collection just for **** and giggles

JUST KIDDING
hds
Registered Member
Dan wrote:It'll delete your entire collection just for **** and giggles

:-)))
dangle_wtf
You may not be able to move data from NFS to the trash, simply because of the nature of networked file systems, but I haven't confirmed.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Napalm Llama
Registered Member
Really?  That'll be annoying.  I've got an NFS share to supply music across my network, which amaroK won't be able to touch.  I still think my idea to add a "trash" note in the database is a good one.

[size=0]Gentoo Linux 2005.0 w/ kernel 2.6.16; amd64; nForce3; sata; GeForce 6600gt agp[/size]
feld
Registered Member
why is amarok even allowed to delete files? can we please just remove that? i see no need. It's a music player not a file manager.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

automatically delete any **** music

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:46 am
Dan wrote:It'll delete your entire collection just for **** and giggles

We have it setup now to interface with Web 2.0 services and automatically delete any **** music. Nifty feature, I hope you all enjoy.

Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf
As long as I can configure it to still work the old way...

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Napalm Llama
Registered Member
feld wrote:why is amarok even allowed to delete files? can we please just remove that? i see no need. It's a music player not a file manager.

Would you please read the rest of the thread before making a comment like that?  We've got 3 pages of discussion about why amaroK can delete files, and the general concensus is that it's a useful feature which should definately be kept - with appropriate safeguards, of course.

litb
Registered Member
if your argument is that amarok should have that ability to delete a file because it is a "Collemtion Manager" (i aggree with that argument), why not move that item into the context menu of the Collection Manager? That would be far more intuitive, since a Playlist entry semantically is not assiciated with a file at all - it could be a radio stream too. But a Collection entry is always a file if i don't miss something. What do you think about this idea to move "Delete File" from the Playlist context menu to the Collection context menu, and rename "Remove from playlist" into "Remove" ?
eean
KDE Developer
OS

please use Amarok

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:54 pm
litb wrote:if your argument is that amarok should have that ability to delete a file because it is a "Collemtion Manager" (i aggree with that argument), why not move that item into the context menu of the Collection Manager? That would be far more intuitive, since a Playlist entry semantically is not assiciated with a file at all - it could be a radio stream too. But a Collection entry is always a file if i don't miss something. What do you think about this idea to move "Delete File" from the Playlist context menu to the Collection context menu, and rename "Remove from playlist" into "Remove" ?
Its already both places.

Amarok Developer
Napalm Llama
Registered Member
litb wrote:What do you think about this idea to move "Delete File" from the Playlist context menu to the Collection context menu, and rename "Remove from playlist" into "Remove" ?

You know, I absolutely agree with that.  I still think that my TrashDB idea is a good one, but in my opinion it would be far better to have the "Permanently Delete" option in the collection browser only.  I always worry about removing files from the playlist in case I delete them totally.

Also, I wasn't aware that the option existed to delete from the collection browser until you pointed it out, Ian - I didn't notice it hidden under the "Manage Files" submenu.  Maybe that's just me, though.